James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default What to do with old gas?

Larry wrote:
James Sweet wrote in news:N_ZWg.1257$P92.1020
@trndny02:

There must be close to 20 gallons of 50:1.

Where are you located, James? I burn it in my gas car, a Chevy V-8 EFI, if
it's free...(c; Just add 5 gallons to a tank of "new" gas to dilute it
with more octane producing light elements. If it knocks, cut back on the
old gas even more.

Does the gas smell like shellac or gas? Was it in a plastic tank or metal?
A full metal tank with no air pocket in it will store gas indefinately.
There's a metal tank on my Honda 5KW genset that starts on the first pull
that's been in there since 1989! It still smells like regular gas, not
shellac, because it cannot breathe in a full tank...losing light elements.

Don't pour water in your car, however....

4-stroke engines, by the way, run just fine on 50:1 2-stroke mix. We used
to call it "top oil" back in the 50's....a good thing.

I'm near Seattle, the tank is metal, if you want some of the gas you're
welcome to come and get it.