Default It's not fuel prices that's going to kill the boat market

It's insurance! Or lack thereof. In Florida, it is now impossible to
insure a boat over 30' long valued at more than $100,000 if the boat:

a) doesn't have a trailer

and/or

b) is more than 5 model years old (2001 and older are uninsurable if they're
over 30 feet and valued at more than $100,000)

I just applied for quotes from NBOA, Boater's Choice, Progressive, and 2 or
three others. All said the same thing: no dice.

Progressive was willing to write my boat for $100,000 coverage (it's valued
at $113k though) to the tune of $4500/year.

I'm with Boat/US, and insured for $113,000 for just under $3000/year. I was
looking to save some money, and it's apparent that that isn't going to
happen.

Read this thread on thehulltruth.com to understand how bad it is in Florida
now:

http://www.thehulltruth.com/forums/t...114956&start=1

Guys cannot get financing on boats because they can't insure them.

NOYB wrote:
[...]

Sorry to hear about your insurance difficulties. Nothing similar is
happening in this area of the country- so I'm willing to bet it has a
lot to do with the $$$$$$$$$ in losses the boat insurance companies
suffer whenever your several hurricanes per year blow through.
Sort of like trying to buy fire insurance on a house 50-feet from a
blast furnace.

Those rates sound astronomical to insure a $100k boat, but it makes
some sense to evaluate local risk rather than just "average" it out
against everybody in the country- whether they live in a hurricane zone
or not. Kind of like the 450-pound diabetic trying to buy medical
insurance- it wouldn't be fair to the 190-pound jogger to just average
the two of them together and charge them both the same rate as one is
many times more likely to suffer an expensive incident than the other.

"NOYB" wrote in message
.net...
[...]

Your house insurance is next.

And I would think all those high dollar houses near and on the water are
going to take a beating on their market value because of these things
related to insurance and insurability.

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
. ..

And I would think all those high dollar houses near and on the water are
going to take a beating on their market value because of these things
related to insurance and insurability.

Wait until all those interest-only mortgages start coming due...that
market is going to collapse and blow wide open.

When we first bought a house in Jupiter, Fl. in 2001, we were unable to get
a full insurance policy due to the effects of Andrew on the insurance
companies. Nobody was accepting new policy applications. A couple of years
later some companies started writing policies again ... until we got three
hurricanes in one year.

House insurance, at least in the area we were in, has become prohibitively
expensive, if you can even get it. We were very lucky to sell when we did.

Eisboch

Jim Jim is offline

NOYB wrote:
[...]

More proof that south Florida is not fit for human habitation.

BBBBut it's warm there in the winter. We freeze our arses off here in CFL.
Jim

"Jim" wrote in message
k.net...

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

More proof that south Florida is not fit for human habitation.

BBBBut it's warm there in the winter. We freeze our arses off here in CFL.
Jim

But baby pineapples and bananas are out of season up there.

Eisboch

Jim Jim is offline

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"Jim" wrote in message
k.net...

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

More proof that south Florida is not fit for human habitation.

BBBBut it's warm there in the winter. We freeze our arses off here in
CFL.
Jim

But baby pineapples and bananas are out of season up there.

Eisboch
Wadaya mean "UP THERE"? Last time I knew, you were hanging around the 42nd
parallel waiting for back to back sunshine days.

Jim

"Jim" wrote in message
k.net...

"Eisboch" wrote in message

But baby pineapples and bananas are out of season up there.

Eisboch

Wadaya mean "UP THERE"? Last time I knew, you were hanging around the 42nd
parallel waiting for back to back sunshine days.

Jim

Let me gloat for a while. I'll be bitching up a storm in about three
months.
The "switch" still works up here. Fall is in the air.

Eisboch

NOYB wrote:
[...]

Any idea what losing the Florida boat market will do to the boating industry
for boats over 30' and valued over $100,000?

You can bet that the most popular booth at this year's Miami International
Boat Show will be the insurance agents.

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
ups.com...

NOYB wrote:
[...]

Yup. Sounds fair. Just like the rest of the country's tax dollars
shouldn't have to pay for security against terrorist attacks in cities like
NY, Seattle, LA, Chicago, etc. Nor should our tax dollars pay for the
cleanup in New Orleans.