NOYB NOYB is offline

Default It's not fuel prices that's going to kill the boat market

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
NOYB wrote:
It's insurance! Or lack thereof. In Florida, it is now impossible to
insure a boat over 30' long valued at more than $100,000 if the boat:

a) doesn't have a trailer

and/or

b) is more than 5 model years old (2001 and older are uninsurable if
they're over 30 feet and valued at more than $100,000)

I just applied for quotes from NBOA, Boater's Choice, Progressive, and 2
or three others. All said the same thing: no dice.

Progressive was willing to write my boat for $100,000 coverage (it's
valued at $113k though) to the tune of $4500/year.

I'm with Boat/US, and insured for $113,000 for just under $3000/year. I
was looking to save some money, and it's apparent that that isn't going
to happen.

Read this thread on thehulltruth.com to understand how bad it is in
Florida now:

http://www.thehulltruth.com/forums/t...114956&start=1

Guys cannot get financing on boats because they can't insure them.

More proof that south Florida is not fit for human habitation.

Any idea what losing the Florida boat market will do to the boating industry
for boats over 30' and valued over $100,000?

You can bet that the most popular booth at this year's Miami International
Boat Show will be the insurance agents.