Default 1 or 2 engines ... this is the question !

Hi,

I'm planning to step from my 1992 Bayliner 2655 to a Maxum 1993 270
SCR. I want to get more power, since my current Bayliner got only a
merc. 5.0 L (305 HP) and find some rides a little tuff.

1) Should I go with dual 4.3 L (205 HP) mercruiser or a single 7,4 L
(454 HP) and what's the pros and cons of having 2 engines instead of
one ? I can't make my mind about the fuel overall cost.

2) What about my upgrade choice, since I want more room, a better
finishing and a smoother ride ?

Thanks for your so appreciated advice.

Guy

Somewhere between 26-28 feet, you need to consider whether to go with
single or twin screws. Over 28 feet, twin screws are almost a given.
Beyond that it really depends on where you boat and in what
situations....Do you want speed or manuverability?

Speed - just remember..."there's no replacement for displacement." At
the time, you're 5.0 liter was probably a base engine and they likely
offered a 5.7 upgrade or possibly a 7.4 option, but a 7.4 option would
have been doubtful for a Bayliner at that time. The 5.0 is probably
just adequate for the size of the boat...definitely not a thrill ride
though. You might want to look at a single screw duo prop. I have a
friend who has a 26' boat with a duo prop 5.7 350 which will do 55, or
better, on a good day.

Manuverability - Twin screws are a lot more manuverable in docking
situations with wind, but you're gonna burn more fuel. I'm guessing a
single 454 will probably burn less fuel than twin 4.3's...twin 305's
would really cook, but that is probably not a Bayliner or Maxum option
and that will definitely keep the Saudi's in business.

Ride - A quick FYI, unless a boat is totally underpowered, your engine
has little to do with your ride quality, so aside from the power issue,
you should really ask yourself whether you've been "truly" happy with
your Bayliner quality in terms of its ride/hull as well as the quality
of the interior and hardware (windshield, etc). More importantly, a
better brand will give you a much better ride, as Bayliners and Maxum's
are not known for being solid/rigid hulls. Beyond that, I am almost
positive that a Maxum is really a Bayliner in wolf's diguise. They
are, or were, at that time owned by the same conglomerate.

What I'm saying is that if you're gonna upgrade boats, you should
upgrade brands. If you can swing it, look for a better brand like a
Regal or Chaparell. Those brands won't break the bank like a
Chris-Craft, Formula or a Cobalt, but they are solid mid-line boats and
you won't regret it on the resale end either.

pailleg wrote:
Hi,

I'm planning to step from my 1992 Bayliner 2655 to a Maxum 1993 270
SCR. I want to get more power, since my current Bayliner got only a
merc. 5.0 L (305 HP) and find some rides a little tuff.

1) Should I go with dual 4.3 L (205 HP) mercruiser or a single 7,4 L
(454 HP) and what's the pros and cons of having 2 engines instead of
one ? I can't make my mind about the fuel overall cost.

2) What about my upgrade choice, since I want more room, a better
finishing and a smoother ride ?

Thanks for your so appreciated advice.

Guy

1) Should I go with dual 4.3 L (205 HP) mercruiser or a single 7,4 L
(454 HP) and what's the pros and cons of having 2 engines instead of
one ? I can't make my mind about the fuel overall cost.

For what it's worth, I've heard from owners their dual prop (e.g. bravo
3, volvo) gives improved efficiency/performance/tracking over a single
prop ... or ... almost as good as having twin engines. So I'd test
drive a dual prop. Plus there's a lot less to maintain/go wrong ...
about 1/2 as much :-)

"Century Coronado Cardel" wrote in message
oups.com...

Ride - A quick FYI, unless a boat is totally underpowered, your engine
has little to do with your ride quality, so aside from the power issue,
you should really ask yourself whether you've been "truly" happy with
your Bayliner quality in terms of its ride/hull as well as the quality
of the interior and hardware (windshield, etc).

Exactly how is the quality of the interior and hardware of a Bayliner? Or
are you just bashing the brand because of it's once deserved poor reputation
that Bayliner shed in the 1990's.

More importantly, a
better brand will give you a much better ride, as Bayliners and Maxum's
are not known for being solid/rigid hulls.

Really? Care to explain how they build their hulls and what makes them
inferior?

Beyond that, I am almost
positive that a Maxum is really a Bayliner in wolf's diguise. They
are, or were, at that time owned by the same conglomerate.

They still are. Brunswick also owns Sea Ray, Hatteras, Baja, Lund and
Boston Whaler, as well as several others. With your logic one would
conclude also that a Bayliner is really a Sea Ray in wolf's disguise, just
as a Lund is really the same boat as a Boston Whaler.

What I'm saying is that if you're gonna upgrade boats, you should
upgrade brands.
If you can swing it, look for a better brand like a
Regal or Chaparell. Those brands won't break the bank like a
Chris-Craft, Formula or a Cobalt, but they are solid mid-line boats and
you won't regret it on the resale end either.

How is a Chris-Craft a better built boat than a comparable Maxum?

Sorry Patrick but it is obvious that you are giving advice when you really
don't know what you are talking about.

***** Have a Gay Day! *****

John

I had a regal 242 cruser with a 350 and went to a wellcraft 3000 martinique
with twin 350 this year and I can control this one better it close quarters
than the smaller boat ever could and having 2 motors is so cool

"Chad" wrote in message

I had a regal 242 cruser with a 350 and went to a wellcraft 3000
martinique with twin 350 this year and I can control this one better it
close quarters than the smaller boat ever could and having 2 motors is so
cool

The Martinique is built like a tank., or at least they were in the mid to
late 1990's. We would have purchased their 32 foot model when we were
looking for boats that size if not for the small aft cabin on the boat.

And yes, having twin outdrives is very nice. The best is twin screws
though. but you have to give up the aft cabin. ;-)

" JimH" jimhUNDERSCOREosudad@yahooDOTcom wrote in message
. ..

"Chad" wrote in message

I had a regal 242 cruser with a 350 and went to a wellcraft 3000
martinique with twin 350 this year and I can control this one better it
close quarters than the smaller boat ever could and having 2 motors is so
cool

The Martinique is built like a tank., or at least they were in the mid to
late 1990's. We would have purchased their 32 foot model when we were
looking for boats that size if not for the small aft cabin on the boat.

And yes, having twin outdrives is very nice. The best is twin screws
though. but you have to give up the aft cabin. ;-)

my wellcraft is a 2000 and the aft cabbin is big enough to sleep 3

"Chad" wrote in message

I had a regal 242 cruser with a 350 and went to a wellcraft 3000
martinique with twin 350 this year and I can control this one better it
close quarters than the smaller boat ever could and having 2 motors is
so cool

The Martinique is built like a tank., or at least they were in the mid to
late 1990's. We would have purchased their 32 foot model when we were
looking for boats that size if not for the small aft cabin on the boat.

And yes, having twin outdrives is very nice. The best is twin screws
though. but you have to give up the aft cabin. ;-)

my wellcraft is a 2000 and the aft cabbin is big enough to sleep 3

I am talking queen size comfort for 2 adults and the 32 foot Martinique had
nothing close to that...perhaps a double bed mattress size at best.

I guess the aft cabins on their smaller boats are bigger and offer far more
room. ;-)