Default Carpet for beach landings?

I brought a piece of carpet (about 3 ft x 5 ft) to the lake to make a soft
landing for my bow. It worked great. Until,

it was time to carry it from the beach to the truck. We are talking
water-logged and heavy. Too heavy for 4 12 year old girls to carry
together.

One friend says he leaves the carpet at the lake and brings a fresh piece
(of carpet) each time he goes camping. It would be easy and inexpensive
because I can raid the dumster at my local carpet store anytime I need to,
but I don't like the idea. I'm sure most of the carpet pieces folks use at
the lake end up on the bottom sooner or later; do we have the only lake with
indoor outdoor shore to shore carpet?

What lightweight alternatives can you think of for frequent beachings on
crunchy shorelines? Something inexpensive, lightweight, foldable or
rollable for compact storage or carrying, and waterproof. Not for everyday
use unless ...

The rubber mat in my storage locker (for ski's, oars, pfd's) seems just
about right, but are pieces like that readily available and inexpensive?
And do I want to land my bow on rubber?

"Bryan" wrote in message
. net...
I brought a piece of carpet (about 3 ft x 5 ft) to the lake to make a soft
landing for my bow. It worked great. Until,

it was time to carry it from the beach to the truck. We are talking
water-logged and heavy. Too heavy for 4 12 year old girls to carry
together.

Wet carpet is heavy. What a surprise!

One friend says he leaves the carpet at the lake and brings a fresh piece
(of carpet) each time he goes camping. It would be easy and inexpensive
because I can raid the dumster at my local carpet store anytime I need to,
but I don't like the idea. I'm sure most of the carpet pieces folks use
at the lake end up on the bottom sooner or later; do we have the only lake
with indoor outdoor shore to shore carpet?

This is called littering, Bryan. That's obnoxious.

Think about two anchors. Drop the first one a certain distance from shore.
Get close to the beach, but not with the bow right on the rough surface. Tie
the rear anchor to a stern cleat in such a way that it keeps the boat from
touching the beach. Use a second anchor (or just a long rope) to tie the
boat to the beach.

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Bryan" wrote in message
. net...

[...]

Or better yet...anchor bow out. Most boats seem to have a boarding
ladder at the stern. That might save an unpleasant drop off the last rung.

Bryan wrote:
[...]

I have a beach able sailboat and was thinking of tying two or three
smaller fenders together end to end. I would loop them under my bow when
coming up to shallow water and hopefully they would act as a bit of a
roller system to save the fiberglass.
Too bad the 'pool doodles' aren't a bit tougher. You could run a line
through a couple of them for same effect.

A camping mat? Rubber mats are used in cars (and for acoustics) I
think, but are more expensive.

Or get a boat like these:

http://www.ilmarinvene.fi/Kuvat/m_550-2.jpg
http://www.ilmarinvene.fi/Kuvat/m_rak1.jpg

Risto

There are also plastic carpets that usually go to your doorstep, with a
structure reminiscent of grass - short plastic blades shooting upwards
in circles.

Maybe for best results you could go with dual layer construction, put
the above outwards and the camping mat next to the hull...

Risto

ugly permanent boat rug / carpet - options? [email protected] General 10 September 1st 20 05:26 PM
Boat Carpet Ian Taylor Cruising 4 September 1st 20 05:24 PM
new decking and carpet for pontoon boat? Tom G General 7 September 1st 20 05:22 PM
bayliner Capri 1999 original floor / carpet gets soaked from rain sometimes [email protected] General 8 July 2nd 04 10:30 PM
marine carpet tcoop General 9 February 9th 04 03:46 AM