Tom G

Default new decking and carpet for pontoon boat?

I'm replacing the carpeting and a couple of rotted deck boards on my pontoon
boat. Marine plywood is pretty much hard to get around here but I can get
MDO plywood (Medium Density Overlay) which has a resin impregnated (Paper?)
layer on each side. This stuff works great for outdoor signs, etc and lasts
virtually forever. However the carpet guy is telling me that the carpet
adhesive won't work with it because "nothing sticks to it". I've queried
the mfg of the adhesive and they don't seem to have a good idea of what MDO
is either. The carpet guy even tried to tell me that paint wouldn't stick
to it. Years ago I had a commercial outdoor sign painted using it and it
lasted for years with no noticeable weathering or paint loss. So, has any
one had experience using it and applying carpet or glue to it. The Exterior
plywood I've found is really bad quality.

Tom G.

JimH

"Tom G" wrote in message
[...]

If you are going to install/construct/upgrade something, get the right
hardware and supplies for the job at the onset so you don't have to fix your
mistakes later. With that understanding there is no use messing around with
this MDO plywood if it is not suitable for the application.

I am sure your marina or a local lumber yard can special order you a couple
of sheets of marine grade plywood. You can also order it yourself off the
net. It will cost more but it the right thing to use for this job.

Tim

Tom, this might be an alternate.

A fried of mine got tired of his treated plywood front porch rotting
out in three years because it's really exposed to the weather. his home
sits facing the west, so it gets the summer rains, winter snows, and
scalding summer sun.

about 10 years ago, he bit the bullet and replaced his deck with
synthetic material. Actually, it's like you were saying about the sign.
resined wood. It's lasted for 10 years and looks and lasts so good,
he's thinking on re-working his Pontoon deck with the same stuff,
seeing he has several boards left over. I assked him about carpet, and
he then asked me."What for"

http://www.decks.com/article50.aspx

Of course as I write this he hasn't doene it yet, but I really don't
see why a person couldn't.

Good Luck!

Tim

Tom G wrote:
[...]

Calif Bill

" JimH" jimh UNDERSCORE osudad@yahooDOTcom wrote in message

"Tom G" wrote in message
[...]

Marine plywood is just as susceptible to rot as any other plywood. The
difference with Marine Ply is there are no interior voids in the plywood,
giving extra strength. You can get the old pressure treating CCA compounds
in marine ply as opposed to the new pressure treating compounds that are
minus the Arsenate. But just Marine ply will give you no more longevity
than CDX exterior ply. My flooring in my Aluminum Jetboat is 15 years old,
and the plywood is still good. It is PT Ply, one side smooth with Nautolex
covering.

Chehalis Jeff

When I rebuilt my boat, I used plain old 5/8" exterior plywood that I
encapsulated in thin epoxy (best deal I found was at USComposites.com)
I filled all external defects with bondo first, pre-fit the panels and
then used a roller to apply the epoxy to each sheet of plywood top
bottom and sides. After the first coat dried, I sanded it lightly and
recoated.

Once that dried and after installing the deck panels, I laid a
lightweight fiberglass cloth down (I bought an 10' wide bolt and a
length long enough to eliminate all seams) over the deck and poured
thicker epoxy "wall to wall" across the deck creating a pan for the
deck back that drains back to the bilge. the deck is nice and stiff and
very resilient.

I covered the finished deck with marine "Deco Dot" vinyl which I really
am happy with. Be sure to use marine grade adhesive and follow the
instructions carefully (in other words, more adhesive is not better...
coat back of vinyl and deck and let tack dry before laying it down.)

Hope this helps.

Jeff

After installing
Tom G wrote:
[...]

basskisser

Tom G wrote:
[...]

I know that Norm from This Old House and New Yankee Workshop loves the
stuff because of it's ability to stay together better than plywood in a
damp environment. He paints it all the time without trouble.

From Bob Vila's website:

Called MDO, or medium density overlay, it's engineered plywood with a
resin treated fiber applied to both faces. This gives an extremely
smooth finish that is easy to paint. In addition it's rated for
exterior use, which means it is safe from the elements, insects, or
other outdoor hazards, making it a perfect choice for the new deck or
porch.

I'd say use it!

Tom G

wrote in message
On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 18:53:43 GMT, "Tom G"
wrote:

[...]

I put my boat together with MDO in 1989 and it is still doing fine. I
run in salt water 12 months a year. If I rebuild I will use MDO again.
The only place I have ever had a spungy spot was right on an edge
around the outside. It was caused by a hole I didn't seal after I
drilled it. The only weak spot is in drilled holes and the edges of
the panels where water can get to the wood. The MDO is bulletproof.

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, I've had to go with the exterior
plywood to get the job done. What I've read on the internet at a plywood
site, indicated the MDO should work but only if coated with paint to protect
it and the carpet glue specifically says that it can't be applied over
paint.

Tom G

Banned

Default Boat Carpet / Marine Carpet PVC

a href="https://www.marineflooring.net/"marine flooring/a
I had this product in my old boat and it was fantastic. I just purchase a new boat and going to use the product on the floor in my new boat. I have used many marine flooring products over the years and this product is the best and better then any other product I have used in the past. Highly recomment this DECKadence
https://youtu.be/nC4VBK6H40w