JimH

Default new decking and carpet for pontoon boat?

"Tom G" wrote in message
I'm replacing the carpeting and a couple of rotted deck boards on my
pontoon boat. Marine plywood is pretty much hard to get around here but I
can get MDO plywood (Medium Density Overlay) which has a resin impregnated
(Paper?) layer on each side. This stuff works great for outdoor signs,
etc and lasts virtually forever. However the carpet guy is telling me
that the carpet adhesive won't work with it because "nothing sticks to
it". I've queried the mfg of the adhesive and they don't seem to have a
good idea of what MDO is either. The carpet guy even tried to tell me
that paint wouldn't stick to it. Years ago I had a commercial outdoor
sign painted using it and it lasted for years with no noticeable
weathering or paint loss. So, has any one had experience using it and
applying carpet or glue to it. The Exterior plywood I've found is really
bad quality.

Tom G.

If you are going to install/construct/upgrade something, get the right
hardware and supplies for the job at the onset so you don't have to fix your
mistakes later. With that understanding there is no use messing around with
this MDO plywood if it is not suitable for the application.

I am sure your marina or a local lumber yard can special order you a couple
of sheets of marine grade plywood. You can also order it yourself off the
net. It will cost more but it the right thing to use for this job.