tcoop

Default marine carpet

What is the main difference between marine grade carpet and indoor/outdoor
carpet? I have a pontoon and wondering why I couldn't use outdoor carpet. I
can seem to find more colors in the outdoor carpet than I can in marine
grade. Anyone have any tips for laying down the carpet no matter which type
I use?
I was thinking about using a couple coats of a water sealer such as
Thompsons, and then apply the carpet over that. Is the best carpet the kind
with a rubber on the back or a webbing type back and should I glue the
entire piece down or just in areas?
Thanks for the advice,
Tom

Lawrence James

Marine carpet has a sealed back. It might wear better than indoor/outdoor.
You get what you pay for. I've seen plenty pontoons with indoor/outdoor.
It is usually glued everywhere to prevent water from collecting betwen the
carpet and floor. Thompsons is not even a very good deck sealer, nevermind
using it as a marine sealer. Two part eposy is the best but expensive. A
polyester resin is not a bad second choice.

"tcoop" wrote in message
.. .
What is the main difference between marine grade carpet and indoor/outdoor
carpet? I have a pontoon and wondering why I couldn't use outdoor carpet.

can seem to find more colors in the outdoor carpet than I can in marine
grade. Anyone have any tips for laying down the carpet no matter which

type
I use?
I was thinking about using a couple coats of a water sealer such as
Thompsons, and then apply the carpet over that. Is the best carpet the

kind
with a rubber on the back or a webbing type back and should I glue the
entire piece down or just in areas?
Thanks for the advice,
Tom

Greg

I used regular Home Depot indoor outdoor on my pontoon boat and it lasted 10
years.
Thompsons won't buy you much. Use a tough paint, several coats.
tcoop

If I use paint do I need to paint both sides of the plywood to keep it from
warping? I know that if one side of a board is painted and the other left
unfinished that the board will warp.
Thanks for the help.
Tom

"Greg" wrote in message
I used regular Home Depot indoor outdoor on my pontoon boat and it lasted

10
years.
Thompsons won't buy you much. Use a tough paint, several coats.

tcoop

Yes this is going on marine grade plywood. Now that you mention it I
remember a friend of mine in the wood working business said not to use
Thompsons. He recommened a product called Woodlife, it could be painted over
and goes on like water. That was years a few years ago so I guess the
product is still around. Thanks for the help.
Tom

"Sir Spamalot" wrote in message
On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 19:53:23 -0500, "tcoop" wrote:

What is the main difference between marine grade carpet and

indoor/outdoor
carpet? I have a pontoon and wondering why I couldn't use outdoor carpet.

can seem to find more colors in the outdoor carpet than I can in marine
grade. Anyone have any tips for laying down the carpet no matter which

type
I use?
I was thinking about using a couple coats of a water sealer such as
Thompsons, and then apply the carpet over that. Is the best carpet the

kind
with a rubber on the back or a webbing type back and should I glue the
entire piece down or just in areas?
Thanks for the advice,
Tom

Don't use Thompson's for anything!! Nothing will stick to it.

Just glue it down using any waterproof glue in areas that will just
keep it tight. Plan on lots of elbow grease if you ever need to
remove it.

BTW, this **is** going over wood, no? I made that assumption due to
the reference to Thompsons.

NOSPAM: Please remove "my" in "comcast" to reply.

Greg

I don't think you will get much warping when the plywood is fastened to the
stringers. I heard you were supposed to let the bottom breathe.
I am using MDO plywood (going on 15 years) so YMMV.

JDavis1277

I'd absolutely avoid any rubber backed carpet.

The rubber will rot and be a mess to take care of when it does.

On a pontoon boat I'd use exterior grade plywood, seal it with epoxy on both
sides, screw it down to the stringers and lay the carpet. I might even get a
little fancy and use snaps to install the carpet so I could take it up once in
a while or even after a washdown. I believe you can get epoxy at a BOAT/US or
West Marine store.

Butch
Lawrence James

Best prices I've found on epoxy is US Composites. Mail order, do a web
search.

Lots of opinions but I seal the top and edges but leave the underside
unsealed so it can dry when it does get wet.

"tcoop" wrote in message
. ..
Can i get the epoxy at a good boaters store or would that need to come

from
a paint store? Thanks for the help.
Tom

"Lawrence James" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Marine carpet has a sealed back. It might wear better than

indoor/outdoor.
You get what you pay for. I've seen plenty pontoons with

indoor/outdoor.
It is usually glued everywhere to prevent water from collecting betwen

the
carpet and floor. Thompsons is not even a very good deck sealer,

nevermind
using it as a marine sealer. Two part eposy is the best but expensive.

polyester resin is not a bad second choice.

.. .