Default Anybody remember the "safari grill"?

http://store.cajun-outdoor-cooking.c...atopnepog.html

These have popped up under different names over the years. Safari
Industries used to make and market them until they tanked. Dik Butkiss
used to advertise them on infomercials etc.

When I was a kid back in the 60's my folks , two brothers, and sister
went on a great vacation out west, in an old 1960 Plymouth
stationwagon.complete with a home built camper on the top, and a water
evaporator in the passenger front window. We took this same type of
grill to every camping joint we stayed in and didn't have to cart
around charcoal and wait for the coals to get hot. These things did
work and work well. I'm tempted to get one for next time I take the
grandkids boating on the lake. They do have some barren beachs that
you can pull up the boat swim, play volleyball etc. with no cooking
restrictions. But they don't have any grills, so you bring your own.

They set up and tear down easily, It's jsut basicly rings within rings
that stack, and all you do is wad up newspaper, throw 'em in, light
it, and cook. It cooks burgers fast.

No hassle.

This guy has devoted a site for them:

http://users.aristotle.net/~shicks/qwikcook/index.html

Anybody else here ever use one?

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 21:23:46 -0700, tschnautz wrote:

They set up and tear down easily, It's jsut basicly rings within rings
that stack, and all you do is wad up newspaper, throw 'em in, light it,
and cook. It cooks burgers fast.

I can see the convenience of ease and speed, but how do they taste? As an
aside, most newspapers these days use soy based inks, but some still use
some nasties, especially the color inserts. It's something to consider.

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=97405

On 18 Jul 2006 21:23:46 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Never saw it before. I use one of these for boat trips:

http://tinyurl.com/zcjos

I put the charcoal in it before leaving the house. If I'm going to use
lighter, it goes in also. Most of the time I'll use a chimney starter
pre-loaded with newspaper.

http://tinyurl.com/ztxca

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

John

It wsn't bad at all. even then , they recommended that you not use
slick "magazine" and or color news print.

you couldn't tell a strong odor, or bad taste to the stuff. for
somereason I'm still alive so I guess it was OK

thunder wrote:
On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 21:23:46 -0700, tschnautz wrote:

They set up and tear down easily, It's jsut basicly rings within rings
that stack, and all you do is wad up newspaper, throw 'em in, light it,
and cook. It cooks burgers fast.

I can see the convenience of ease and speed, but how do they taste? As an
aside, most newspapers these days use soy based inks, but some still use
some nasties, especially the color inserts. It's something to consider.

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=97405

The Safari Grill? Yeah! It was this amazing dockside topless bar back
in the 70's. Fake leopard skin everything, cheesy "grass hut" decor,
and multi-colored 25-watt lightbulbs jammed into the ends of phony tiki
torches. 25-cent schooners and pitchers for a buck apiece. You could
see through the beer, but the "dancers" actually looked a lot like very
authentic safari-land women (those safari-land women over 50, anyway)
straight out of the pages of National Geographic. Bartender wore khaki
shirts and shorts, as well as a greasy pith helmet- and it was rumored
that he originated the slogan "Same shirt, different day." More smoke
in the air than a four-alarm fire in a cigar store, and the pool table
sloped almost as much as the pinball machine. Is that the place you
have in mind? :-)

They just don't have a lot of class joints like that anymore. Too bad.

Chuck Gould wrote:
[...]

John Hiatt said it best in song:
"Thank God the Tiki Bar is open, thank God the Tiki Torch still shines
Thank God the Tiki Bar is open, come on in and loosen up your mind"

remember when........ Scotty ASA 20 January 29th 06 10:26 PM
"Let's Remember Pearl Harbor" Thom Stewart ASA 2 December 9th 05 10:50 PM
(OT) Remember the Shoe Bomber? JGS General 17 August 6th 04 05:02 PM
OT - Remember the Alamo? John H General 8 March 13th 04 04:03 PM
Remember Pearl Harbor!; Thom Stewart ASA 94 December 22nd 03 04:18 AM