posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

Default "chartering" with guests

beaufortnc wrote:
Hi,

I have a charter captain friend who told me once that there is a
loophole around the conventional "6-pack" CG License chartering
regulations.

He said something to the effect that if you have a contract that
specifies that the boat is being rented as a whole to the "guests",
that they are able to pick whoever they'd like to be the captain of
their "rented" vessel, whether that person is licensed or not.

So, in essence, the boat "rental" provides the income, and the
"captain" performs duties for free.

With this method, he was able to charter his boat with more than 6
guests, and without a captain's license.

Does anyone know the real story on this? Was he f.o.s.?

Thanks,

Mike.

Why not just do it with the proper paperwork? A lot of the license
schools will coach you through lying about your sea service, and in
exchange for $600-$800 will basically ensure that you pass the exam. If
you really want to haul people for hire, get the license.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

"RG" wrote in message
. ..

"
That's a good point, and you'd better not trust what any insurance agent
says unless he's ready to put it in writing. I'm not talking about
reading the policy itself, which is obviously important, although they
can also be vague. I'm talking about a plain-English letter from the
agent which addresses specific questions you ask. I just went through
this with my agent, who's a real pro with regard to home, car & life
insurance. But, he was a bit weak when it came to providing coverage for
musical equipment used professionally, and questions about what happens
if a club burns down with my equipment in it. I kept giving him scenarios
like that, and he finally said he wasn't 100% sure about all of them. We
ended up doing a conference call to an underwriter at the actual
insurance company.

A letter signed by the agent is worth little more than the paper it's
written on, since your contract of coverage is not with the agent. An
agent can attest to anything, but if it is outside the coverage specified
in the contract (policy), it may not be enforceable. The insurance
company can always claim that the agent was acting outside the authority
of his capacity as agent. A letter signed by an officer of the insurance
company stipulating or clarifying coverage is another matter. I'd take
that with me to court any day.

Per my lawyer, a letter from the agent is a reminder that he may be
personally liable. Fear is good.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

"Chuck Tribolet" wrote in message

You will **** off a chief if you bull**** him/her. There's NO better
bull****ter
than a chief.

I've seen such bull**** attempted, when the CG cited me for rules they
misinterpreted. It didn't work. They got spanked.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats
RG RG is offline

Per my lawyer, a letter from the agent is a reminder that he may be
personally liable. Fear is good.

So, you're willing to have this particular area of coverage backed up by the
solvency of your agent? The two of you deserve each other. And I suppose I
might as well throw the lawyer in there too.

"Chuck Gould" wrote:
beaufortnc wrote:
Hi,

I have a charter captain friend who told me once that there is a
loophole around the conventional "6-pack" CG License chartering
regulations.

He said something to the effect that if you have a contract that
specifies that the boat is being rented as a whole to the "guests",
that they are able to pick whoever they'd like to be the captain of
their "rented" vessel, whether that person is licensed or not.

So, in essence, the boat "rental" provides the income, and the
"captain" performs duties for free.

With this method, he was able to charter his boat with more than 6
guests, and without a captain's license.

Does anyone know the real story on this? Was he f.o.s.?

I've talked to a man (let's call him M) who charter a boat (from a
charter company) and get a group of people together each of whom pays
M a part of the fee. Say one of those big cats that sleeps 8, and M
gets six couples and divides the charter cost by 6 instead of 8, so
that his part is paid for by the others. Then the people each bring
or buy some of the food and do the cooking and M acts as the captain
and cruise director. He gets his airfare and expenses paid for. But
he doesn't own the boat although I suppose he could have leased the
boat to the charter company.

Why not just do it with the proper paperwork? A lot of the license
schools will coach you through lying about your sea service, and in
exchange for $600-$800 will basically ensure that you pass the exam. If
you really want to haul people for hire, get the license.

The way I read this, the guy wants to take more than 6 people. Or are
you saying the next license above the six-pack license is easy to get?

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
oups.com...

beaufortnc wrote:
[...]

I don't know any school that will coach someone to lie to the CG. They'll
explain what you need. It's up to you to get the sea time.

But, that said, I agree... get the license.
--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

On 14 Jul 2006 13:35:09 -0700, "beaufortnc"
wrote:

Does anyone know the real story on this? Was he f.o.s.?

Partly f.o.s.

It's called demarage or something like that (can't remember the exact
term) but the way it works is you rent the boat sans captain, then
provide a list of captains who are acceptable to you allowing the
charterer to obtain his own captain.

The way it works is you provide the list to the charterer, say three
captains, and oddly, only one is available to do the charter. Assuming
that your boat can handle the capacity, you can have up to twelve
people aboard with a Captain who has an OUPV - that Captain can be you
assuming you have the proper license.

The captain is still required to have a license and has to stay within
the tonnage and/or limitations of the license, but that's the way it
is done.

OUPV = 6 people max. If you can find the reference that says differently,
please post it.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats
Bob Bob is offline

beaufortnc wrote:
Hi,

I have a charter captain friend who told me once that there is a
loophole around the conventional "6-pack" CG License chartering
regulations.

He said something to the effect that if you have a contract that
specifies that the boat is being rented as a whole to the "guests",
that they are able to pick whoever they'd like to be the captain of
their "rented" vessel, whether that person is licensed or not.

So, in essence, the boat "rental" provides the income, and the
"captain" performs duties for free.

With this method, he was able to charter his boat with more than 6
guests, and without a captain's license.

Does anyone know the real story on this? Was he f.o.s.?

Thanks,

Mike.

Hey...... give it a try ,request a boarding, and see what happens. post
the results here.
Bob

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

What country is "M" chartering in? "Big Cats" doesn't sound like the
US. Do the various Caribbean charter countries have the same strict
licensing requirements as the US?

Rosalie B. wrote:
"Chuck Gould" wrote:
beaufortnc wrote:
[...]

"RG" wrote in message
m...

Per my lawyer, a letter from the agent is a reminder that he may be
personally liable. Fear is good.

So, you're willing to have this particular area of coverage backed up by
the solvency of your agent? The two of you deserve each other. And I
suppose I might as well throw the lawyer in there too.

You're being silly. Stop.