posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats
Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default "chartering" with guests

"beaufortnc" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I have a charter captain friend who told me once that there is a
loophole around the conventional "6-pack" CG License chartering
regulations.

He said something to the effect that if you have a contract that
specifies that the boat is being rented as a whole to the "guests",
that they are able to pick whoever they'd like to be the captain of
their "rented" vessel, whether that person is licensed or not.

So, in essence, the boat "rental" provides the income, and the
"captain" performs duties for free.

With this method, he was able to charter his boat with more than 6
guests, and without a captain's license.

Does anyone know the real story on this? Was he f.o.s.?

Thanks,

Mike.

I haven't heard of anything like this. I think that if you're boarded and
the CG asks if anyone has paid to be on the boat, you better have the right
license. Of course, you can contest anything in court. Doesn't mean you'll
win, however, and what a huge hassle. If you're being boarded for cause,
they might impound the boat.

A fast way of finding out would be to call the local CG office, speak to a
chief and see what he or she says.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com