posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

Default "chartering" with guests

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
news
On 14 Jul 2006 13:35:09 -0700, "beaufortnc"
wrote:

With this method, he was able to charter his boat with more than 6
guests, and without a captain's license.

Does anyone know the real story on this? Was he f.o.s.?

What about your insurance company, what do THEY think? That's where
you are most likely to get in trouble first. Your co called friends
will be calling lawyers very quickly if there is any kind of mishap
onboard. It is unlikely in my opinion, that your insurance company
will provide charter coverage without a licensed captain.

That's a good point, and you'd better not trust what any insurance agent
says unless he's ready to put it in writing. I'm not talking about reading
the policy itself, which is obviously important, although they can also be
vague. I'm talking about a plain-English letter from the agent which
addresses specific questions you ask. I just went through this with my
agent, who's a real pro with regard to home, car & life insurance. But, he
was a bit weak when it came to providing coverage for musical equipment used
professionally, and questions about what happens if a club burns down with
my equipment in it. I kept giving him scenarios like that, and he finally
said he wasn't 100% sure about all of them. We ended up doing a conference
call to an underwriter at the actual insurance company.