JimH

Default Guests at the Helm

How many times have you offered the helm to a guest (or inexperienced
boater) when having to attend to something down below, especially in open
water?

Here is a real life story that should give you some caution when doing so.

From Boat US Magazine, March 2005:

Guests who lack experience should be monitored constantly whenever they are
at the helm. That means you -- the boat's skipper -- should remain on deck
to act as a lookout. There are many accounts of boats that slammed into
other boats, jetties and shoals at the hands of an inexperienced guest who
had been left alone at the helm.

One of the more unusual Boat US Marine Insurance claims involved a guest who
took the helm one night on a lake in New York. Before the skipper went
below, he told the guest to "head for the red light", referring to a light
marking a channel some distance away. Instead, the guest headed for a red
light that, as it turned out, was on the back of a train. The boat bounced
off a rock jetty and wound up high and dry on the railroad tracks. A few
minutes later a second train came tearing down the tracks and slammed into
the boat."

Doh! I bet that left a mark.

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 17:50:20 -0500, "JimH" wrote:

~~ snippage happens ~~

How many times have you offered the helm to a guest (or inexperienced
boater) when having to attend to something down below, especially in open
water?

I've never let anybody inexperienced to have the helm of any boat I've
had without direct supervision by myself.

I have let others with boating experience use boats and have the helm
though.

Not sure if that counts.

Later,

Tom

I'm not an experienced boater. I had the pleasure of taking control of
a 32' Sun Tracker Party Cruiser. I live in the mid-Hudson Valley. We
were going to a party in this thing in October 2003. The way upriver
was warm. The ride home was chilly. Most people were slightly drunk
except the skipper and I. They were all huddled around a 12 volt heater
that threw off just a little heat. The skipper needed to use the head.
Let's just say it took him about 6-7 minutes... he didn't want to stop
and anchor. He throttles down to a fast idle and says "take over". The
instructions were to stay about the same distance from the shore and to
watch out for other boats, particularly commercial vessles, he'd be
back soon. We were probably doing about 3-4 mph. I've driven this thing
a little in the day, but never at night. The other people on board were
still drinking beer and blasting the stereo. I found this to be very
distracting. I told my friend to never put that level of responsibility
on me again. All I can think of is that pontoon boat in Baltimore that
had the fatality about a year ago. This incident was before that
disaster, but I can't help imagine that this boat is not much different
than the one in Baltimore.

HarryKrause

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 17:50:20 -0500, "JimH" wrote:

How many times have you offered the helm to a guest (or inexperienced
boater) when having to attend to something down below, especially in open
water?

I do it all the time. Just make sure they know how to follow a course
line, and each of you have a walkie.
DSK

JimH wrote:
How many times have you offered the helm to a guest (or inexperienced
boater) when having to attend to something down below, especially in open
water?

Not sure about those exact circumstances, but I'm pretty free about
letting other people take the helm. Contrary to popular belief, it's not
at all difficult or dangerous to drive a boat... you just have to know
what to look out for.

I *always* carefully keep watch over all circumstances around the boat,
whether I'm at the helm or not. When a guest is steering, I will point
things out, whether interesting scenery or a potential hazard. If there
is some particular way the boat should be handled, I'll give calm clear
instructions and ask if they can do it... and if they are too nervous
then I'll take over without any criticism. I try to make it enjoyable
for all, and educational for those who are interested enough.

An example... some time ago I invited a friend & fellow sailor...
although of a bit less experience than myself... to skipper our boat
during a race. I was acting as crew & tactician & navigator & advisor...
trying to avoid being overbearing... we did quite well and both had a
great time, and I noticed (my wife actually commented on this, too) that
he started doing better in races in his own boat!

Here is a real life story that should give you some caution when doing so.

From Boat US Magazine, March 2005:
..... A few
minutes later a second train came tearing down the tracks and slammed into
the boat."

I wonder if the insurance agent burst out laughing.

Fair Skies
Doug King

LAN network on dual helm trawler peter Electronics 7 September 27th 04 07:00 AM
helm seats Florida Keyz Cruising 17 April 1st 04 05:56 PM
Helm Seats Florida Keyz General 4 March 31st 04 05:28 PM
Stiff helm? John Cairns ASA 33 August 18th 03 01:26 AM
Replacement Helm Chair ? noah General 1 July 23rd 03 04:45 AM