Default new old sunfish - where to start?

We were at a lake on a family vacation and were given a sunfish for
helping a woman move some furniture (now that I think of it, I hope the
sunfish was hers). It seemed mostly complete, even with a trailer and
an extra set of sails. We put it in the water and it seemed to sail
well.

Now that we're home I'd like to fix it up a little. I don't expect to
get it to showroom condition, just things that would make it more
enjoyable and efficient, and where the return on investment makes
sense.

Not sure of the age. Couldn't find any serial numbers, but it has the
brass contraption for the rudder, and from what I've read so far, that
means old. It didn't seem like the bailer worked, but it had a screw
on cap that I now think needed to be removed. The only things that
looked like they were missing were something on the deck next to the
mast, and something on the deck in front of the cockpit.

From googling, it seems like the first thing I need to do is lighten

this thing up. It seems to weigh over 200 lbs, taking 2-3 people to
lift/manuever it. I plan to add the inspection ports to help with
this. Is one in front of the cockpit and one near the rear standard
practice?

From there I'd probably do an air test and work on patching any leaks I

can find. I've worked with fiberglass repair on autos, I assume the
process is the same?

Also, I'd like to clean it up a little. It has been repainted once,
and the hull has a layer of what I'll call funk on it. Any suggestions
on how to start? Do I wash it off, or can I sand it off? Should I
repaint or put any type of coating on it? If so, are there recommended
types?

Is there a recommended order for doing the things I've listed or
anything else?

Thanks in advance for helping me start my sailing journey,
Dwight

You might have done this already but just in case..... I'd have thought
going to sailing clubs with a sunfish fleet would give you a lot of
hands-on enthusiastic help and info and you'll see lots of sunfish for
comparing with. I did a quick google search for clubs sailing sunfish
and think you should be able to find one in your country. Also as far
as Groups goes, consider uk.rec.sailing, alt.sailing.asa,
rec.boats.cruising, rec.boats.racing too, I think some people even not
currently owning one sometimes were familiar with it in the past.
Enjoy
Solo Thesailor
http://sailingstoriesandtips.blogspot.com

wrote:
We were at a lake on a family vacation and were given a sunfish for
helping a woman move some furniture (now that I think of it, I hope the
sunfish was hers). It seemed mostly complete, even with a trailer and
an extra set of sails. We put it in the water and it seemed to sail
well.

Now that we're home I'd like to fix it up a little. I don't expect to
get it to showroom condition, just things that would make it more
enjoyable and efficient, and where the return on investment makes
sense.

Not sure of the age. Couldn't find any serial numbers, but it has the
brass contraption for the rudder, and from what I've read so far, that
means old.

1973-1974 was the last year for brass hardware.

It didn't seem like the bailer worked, but it had a screw
on cap that I now think needed to be removed.

The Dipersia venturi-type bailer is supposed to be regulated by how far
you expose the holes in the screw. It should be gasketed, too, for a
complete seal when tightened down. A check ball under the screw
ostensibly keeps water from coming in below "suction speed".

Before you "scrap" the metal bailer for a plastic one, check this $$ out:

The only things that
looked like they were missing were something on the deck next to the
mast,

Halyard cleat.

and something on the deck in front of the cockpit.

Fairlead hook.

From googling, it seems like the first thing I need to do is lighten

this thing up.

Should be nominally 129 lbs., hull only, w/ all hardware.

It seems to weigh over 200 lbs, taking 2-3 people to
lift/manuever it.

There's around 10 gallons of water hiding in there somewhere...

I plan to add the inspection ports to help with
this. Is one in front of the cockpit and one near the rear standard
practice?

You'll need them to access the waterlogged foam.

From there I'd probably do an air test and work on patching any leaks I

can find. I've worked with fiberglass repair on autos, I assume the
process is the same?

Pretty much.

Also, I'd like to clean it up a little. It has been repainted once,
and the hull has a layer of what I'll call funk on it. Any suggestions
on how to start? Do I wash it off, or can I sand it off?

Try fiberglass cleaner first. Then very fine wetsanding.

Should I
repaint or put any type of coating on it?

To be determined based on your findings!

If so, are there recommended
types?

Is there a recommended order for doing the things I've listed or
anything else?

Keep reading, visit the library.

Rob