Default Unknown older Johnson 18hp short shaft rope start outboard dies at idle but runs well

I just bought an older Johnson 18hp, pervious woner said everything
works except maybe have to play ard with the choke when starts, but
when I got there to collect it, he told me it will start but dies
almost immediately unless u throttle it a little or full, it runs real
good when it's in gear(with throttle)...it only dies when u switch to
neutral(before switching to forward or reverse), so the only trick is
to switch to neutral real fast while the other hand switch the gear and
throttle almost at the same time to keep the engine running. Below are
the owner's "mechanic" recommendation, but I am starting to think he
knows nothing much, otherwise he would have fixed it then.

1.) Coil problem - not sure if it's going to be an expensive fix if it
is true.
2.) Clean Carb - but he said he rebuilt the carb previously, so I was
wondering how come it's cleaning when it's been rebuilt recently.
Engine has been tuned up recently too, maybe that's why it's running
great, but don't know why it won't continue to idle properly.
3.) He recommended using something called "Restore" to clean the
carb....couldn't find it in store, anyone knows what he is talking
about?
4.) there is a knob in the middle, between the choke and the STOP
button...he doesn't know what it is, neither do I, but I am guessing
it's the fuel mixture/ For LEAN or POWER up??? COuld that be the
problem? We did not touch that knob throughout the whole testing...the
motor just keep dying if you don't get the "switch fast" method
correctly.

Any expert recommendation how to fix this before I bring it to the
mechanic for them to chop my head off?

Regards,
1st time boat owner
Ron

trainfan1

wrote:
[...]

That knob is the secret - it's the idle mixture screw. Turn to the
right to gently seat the needle, back it out 1 & 1/4 turns, & run the
engine up to operating temp. Adjust for best idle - too rich(too far
left) and it will smoke up & require more throttle, too lean(too far
right - which sounds like that's where you are now) and it will stumble
& stall due to lack of fuel. If a quick pull on the choke brings the
engine back to life, it's too lean.

With the age of the 18 now, the needle may be worn and it could be tough
to get a good setting.

Rob

Yeah, I remember something about that now. The knob was turned to the
extreme right(not sure why he did not dare to touch it) and had to pull
the choke a little everytime we pull the rope to get it to fire up and
hold the choke a little bit out to keep it running, pull it out further
and it revs like crazy. And then the owner said something about his
mechanic saying the idling screws needs to be adjusted(forgot in or out
a little) or else it will not stay in idling without dying....not sure,
maybe the knob is not working and needs to use a longer screw to make
it work. I will remember that and test it out this weekend when I bring
it to my friend's place(living in an apartment complex now, not nice to
rev the motor.
Thank you very much Rob.

Regards,
1st time boat owner
Ron

Bob La Londe

Sounds like a plugged or partially plugged idle jet. Don't take long to
plug either.

--
Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com