Default Unknown older Johnson 18hp short shaft rope start outboard dies at idle but runs well

Yeah, I remember something about that now. The knob was turned to the
extreme right(not sure why he did not dare to touch it) and had to pull
the choke a little everytime we pull the rope to get it to fire up and
hold the choke a little bit out to keep it running, pull it out further
and it revs like crazy. And then the owner said something about his
mechanic saying the idling screws needs to be adjusted(forgot in or out
a little) or else it will not stay in idling without dying....not sure,
maybe the knob is not working and needs to use a longer screw to make
it work. I will remember that and test it out this weekend when I bring
it to my friend's place(living in an apartment complex now, not nice to
rev the motor.
Thank you very much Rob.

Regards,
1st time boat owner