Bryan

Default Maxum 2001 I/O

Friend wants to buy used Maxum 2001 I/O 4 Cyl for family lake use: skiing,
wakeboarding, tubing.
No engine hours meter, but compression is "182".
Any problems just because it's a Maxum?
I'm worried about the 4 cylinder being enough power.
What do you think, given the limited information?

JimH

"Bryan" wrote in message
.net...
Friend wants to buy used Maxum 2001 I/O 4 Cyl for family lake use: skiing,
wakeboarding, tubing.
No engine hours meter, but compression is "182".
Any problems just because it's a Maxum?
I'm worried about the 4 cylinder being enough power.
What do you think, given the limited information?

Maxum makes a decent boat. What size is it?

Compression is very good (182 psi), but there should be 4 readings.

Bryan wrote:
Friend wants to buy used Maxum 2001 I/O 4 Cyl for family lake use: skiing,
wakeboarding, tubing.
No engine hours meter, but compression is "182".
Any problems just because it's a Maxum?
I'm worried about the 4 cylinder being enough power.
What do you think, given the limited information?

You may have ample reason to be worried about the 4 cylinder being
powerful enough to ski a big adult. If your friend could find the same
boat with a 6 or a small V8 he or she would probably be happier in the
long run. The 4-banger may be available, and may be cheap, because the
current owner thinks there's a need for more power and is buying a boat
with a bigger engine.. If so, that should tell you something.......

JimH

wrote in message
ups.com...

Bryan wrote:
Friend wants to buy used Maxum 2001 I/O 4 Cyl for family lake use:
skiing,
wakeboarding, tubing.
No engine hours meter, but compression is "182".
Any problems just because it's a Maxum?
I'm worried about the 4 cylinder being enough power.
What do you think, given the limited information?

You may have ample reason to be worried about the 4 cylinder being
powerful enough to ski a big adult. If your friend could find the same
boat with a 6 or a small V8 he or she would probably be happier in the
long run. The 4-banger may be available, and may be cheap, because the
current owner thinks there's a need for more power and is buying a boat
with a bigger engine.. If so, that should tell you something.......

It could be as small as their 17 1/2 footer Chuck and in that case I would
guess a 4 cylinder 135 hp 3L might be OK.

Without knowing the length it is a tough call.

But I do agree that it is better to go bigger if the boat is to be used for
skiing. ;-)

MAT

My friend has a Maxum 21 footer; v8; does 45+ on the water; 35 - 40 with
load and "toys".

I have a 18 footer 4cyl; does 28'ish with toys and people.

With allot of people and toys; get a bigger motor!

Mike T.

"Bryan" wrote in message
.net...
Friend wants to buy used Maxum 2001 I/O 4 Cyl for family lake use: skiing,
wakeboarding, tubing.
No engine hours meter, but compression is "182".
Any problems just because it's a Maxum?
I'm worried about the 4 cylinder being enough power.
What do you think, given the limited information?

Bryan

" JimH" jimhUNDERSCOREosudad@yahooDOTcom wrote in message
. ..

"Bryan" wrote in message
.net...
Friend wants to buy used Maxum 2001 I/O 4 Cyl for family lake use:
skiing, wakeboarding, tubing.
No engine hours meter, but compression is "182".
Any problems just because it's a Maxum?
I'm worried about the 4 cylinder being enough power.
What do you think, given the limited information?

Maxum makes a decent boat. What size is it?

Compression is very good (182 psi), but there should be 4 readings.

18 feet
The 182 is all the info I have (I know I need 3 more readings).

Bryan

wrote in message
ups.com...

Bryan wrote:
Friend wants to buy used Maxum 2001 I/O 4 Cyl for family lake use:
skiing,
wakeboarding, tubing.
No engine hours meter, but compression is "182".
Any problems just because it's a Maxum?
I'm worried about the 4 cylinder being enough power.
What do you think, given the limited information?

You may have ample reason to be worried about the 4 cylinder being
powerful enough to ski a big adult. If your friend could find the same
boat with a 6 or a small V8 he or she would probably be happier in the
long run. The 4-banger may be available, and may be cheap, because the
current owner thinks there's a need for more power and is buying a boat
with a bigger engine.. If so, that should tell you something.......

Yeah, I'm leaning toward telling them to look for a 6. I feel the way you
described based on my 6.

Bryan

" JimH" jimhUNDERSCOREosudad@yahooDOTcom wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
ups.com...

Bryan wrote:
[...]

Sorry about leaving off the length. I'm starting out Father's Day weekend
alternating fever with chills, aches with pains, nausea with dizziness.
Tomorrow morning should be really interesting; my kids have made plans for
me to take them tubing. Enough whining; they're looking at 18 footers.

Bryan

"MAT" wrote in message
My friend has a Maxum 21 footer; v8; does 45+ on the water; 35 - 40 with
load and "toys".

I have a 18 footer 4cyl; does 28'ish with toys and people.

With allot of people and toys; get a bigger motor!

Mike T.

"Bryan" wrote in message
.net...
Friend wants to buy used Maxum 2001 I/O 4 Cyl for family lake use:
skiing, wakeboarding, tubing.
No engine hours meter, but compression is "182".
Any problems just because it's a Maxum?
I'm worried about the 4 cylinder being enough power.
What do you think, given the limited information?

With everyone's input here, I decided to get involved and strongly suggest
their family of 5 would be happier with a 6 cyl. Thanks.

Maxum - Reputation & Quality? G Evans General 6 June 8th 06 03:17 AM
FS: 2001 250 johnson blown powerhead mark General 2 May 19th 06 10:28 PM
2001 Corvette RCE General 1 February 26th 06 12:37 AM
E-Tec - Whats your experience? [email protected] General 21 January 14th 06 06:25 AM
Olive wants to go to the Caribbean ! [email protected] Cruising 20 December 10th 05 02:03 AM