Default *This* chowda is delicious!

Looks good Harry, but I'm really not a chower eater. What could be
substituted for the Clams?

Hmmmm Cream of Potato or Mushroom soup!

now it's looking better!

Harry Krause wrote:
This is a TV show recipe, easy to make and delicious.
Use raw potato with skins for grating.

8 slices of bacon, chopped
1 medium cooking onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, diced
1/2 cup of chardonnay or other white wine
1 cup of cream
1 cup of milk
2 five-ounce cans of clam meat
2 large bay leafs
1 teaspoon of fresh thyme leaves
1 cup of grated baking potato
1 can of unsweetened evaporated milk
1/4 cup of chopped flat leaf parsley
Salt and pepper

Brown the bacon until crisp in a thick-bottomed soup pot. Pour off half
of the fat. Add the onions and celery with a splash of water and saute
for a few minutes until soft.

Add the white wine, cream, milk and the juice from the clams (reserve
the actual clams for the end so they don't toughen). Add the bay leaf,
thyme and grated potato; bring the mixture to a slow simmer. Continue
simmering for fifteen minutes until the grated potato softens, releasing
its starches and thickening the chowder base.

Add the reserved clam meat, evaporated milk and parsley. Bring back to
heat. Taste the chowder and add enough salt and pepper to season it.
Serve immediately with your favorite biscuits!

Yield: 4 servings with leftovers

JoeSpareBedroom

wrote in message
oups.com...
Looks good Harry, but I'm really not a chower eater. What could be
substituted for the Clams?

Any fish that won't fall apart completely when cooked, especially if the
chef isn't good at knowing when fish is done. Shrimp, too.

John Gaquin

wrote in message

Looks good Harry, but I'm really not a chower eater. What could be
substituted for the Clams?

A chowda is, by definition, a hearty, chunky concoction. Replacing the
clams with some other ingredient would still leave you with a chowda. :-)

John Gaquin wrote:
wrote in message

Looks good Harry, but I'm really not a chowder eater. What could be
substituted for the Clams?

A chowda is, by definition, a hearty, chunky concoction. Replacing the
clams with some other ingredient would still leave you with a chowda. :-)

Could be, John.

I've always related "chowdah" with clam or any of many seafood or fish
based soups.

So I was thinking of a substitute for the clams/fish to make something
more for my palate.....

So without the seafood[s] would it still be "chowdah?"

JoeSpareBedroom

wrote in message
oups.com...

John Gaquin wrote:
wrote in message

Looks good Harry, but I'm really not a chowder eater. What could be
substituted for the Clams?

A chowda is, by definition, a hearty, chunky concoction. Replacing the
clams with some other ingredient would still leave you with a chowda.
:-)

Could be, John.

I've always related "chowdah" with clam or any of many seafood or fish
based soups.

So I was thinking of a substitute for the clams/fish to make something
more for my palate.....

So without the seafood[s] would it still be "chowdah?"

Lose the wine and the thyme. Substitute fresh tarragon and sherry, along
with a sweeter seafood, like sea bass, scallops or shrimp, and the original
recipe will be fine. Harvey's Bristol Cream's a good choice - a teaspoon for
each bowl of soup, added 5 minutes before serving.

John Gaquin

wrote in message

A chowda is, by definition, a hearty, chunky concoction. Replacing the
clams with some other ingredient would still leave you with a chowda.
:-)

Could be, John.

I've always related "chowdah" with clam or any of many seafood or fish
based soups.

So I was thinking of a substitute for the clams/fish to make something
more for my palate.....

So without the seafood[s] would it still be "chowdah?"

Sorry, I must have misunderstood you. I thought you said you weren't much
for chowder, and wanted to replace the clams, and I said well, without the
clams it could still be a chowder.

Of course you can replace the clams with lobster, other fish pieces, or
non-seafood if that is your preference. Chowder is a style of soup if you
will, regardless of the main ingredient, comprising a soup like liquid and
hearty chunks of vegetables and main ingredient, usually seafood of some
sort.

Of particular import to New Englanders is the fact that the nature and
character of New England Fish Chowder have been enshrined in law. Reference
is made to Webster v. Blue Ship Tea Room, a 1964 decision of the Mass SJC.

http://www.4lawschool.com/contracts/webster.shtml

The decision, written by a Justice Reardon, is considered a classic piece of
prose, wherein he delves into the history and nature of what constitutes a
true "chowder". The following article is interesting:

http://www.overlawyered.com/2006/04/...greatness.html

It quotes parts of Judge Reardon's decision, which reads, in part:
"No chef is forced to reduce pieces of fish in chowder to miniscule size in
an effort to ascertain if they contain any pieces of bone, and a fish bone
lurking in fish chowder, about the ingredients of which there is no other
complaint, does not constitute a breach of implied warranty under the
Uniform Commercial Code."

[I can still remember my Dad talking about this case in 1964. Reardon's
turn of phrase was marvelous throughout his decision - "...a fish bone
lurking in fish chowder, about the ingredients of which there is no other
complaint..." - and even as I type this, I can still hear my father saying
it!]

After noting the defendant's exhortation that "this court knows well that we
are not talking of some insipid broth as is customarily served to
convalescents" and quoting Daniel Webster's recipe for fish chowder in a
footnote, the Court observed:

"It is not too much to say that a person sitting down in New England to
consume a good New England fish chowder embarks upon a gustatory adventure
which may entail the removal of some fish bones from his bowl as he
proceeds."