JohnH

Default *This* chowda is delicious!

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 19:04:35 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

This is a TV show recipe, easy to make and delicious.
Use raw potato with skins for grating.

8 slices of bacon, chopped
1 medium cooking onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, diced
1/2 cup of chardonnay or other white wine
1 cup of cream
1 cup of milk
2 five-ounce cans of clam meat
2 large bay leafs
1 teaspoon of fresh thyme leaves
1 cup of grated baking potato
1 can of unsweetened evaporated milk
1/4 cup of chopped flat leaf parsley
Salt and pepper

Brown the bacon until crisp in a thick-bottomed soup pot. Pour off half
of the fat. Add the onions and celery with a splash of water and saute
for a few minutes until soft.

Add the white wine, cream, milk and the juice from the clams (reserve
the actual clams for the end so they don't toughen). Add the bay leaf,
thyme and grated potato; bring the mixture to a slow simmer. Continue
simmering for fifteen minutes until the grated potato softens, releasing
its starches and thickening the chowder base.

Add the reserved clam meat, evaporated milk and parsley. Bring back to
heat. Taste the chowder and add enough salt and pepper to season it.
Serve immediately with your favorite biscuits!

Yield: 4 servings with leftovers

That one looks like a keeper! And, it's fishing related so you *shouldn't*
get into trouble. Thanks. I'll let you know how it comes out.
JoeSpareBedroom

wrote:

[...]

Certain ingredients would not be either available or affordable without
migrant labor involved in their harvest. This is a political thread intended
to get JackOff all riled up.

JohnH

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 23:16:06 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

And totally false.

Why not take the political trolls to a.politics or some other appropriate
group?
basskisser

wrote:

[...]

I've been trying to find the perfect Manhattan style chowder recipe for
a long time. I love that style, and have found several *not too shabby*
recipes, but no real great one. I'd experiment more, but I'm the only
one in my house that likes Manhattan style, so I always end up with a
whole pot of soup, and just me trying to eat it!

basskisser

Harry Krause wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Here's a tried and true red fish soup-stew, more like a bouillabaisse.

For the fish stew:

1 fennel bulb, green tops and core removed, white part chopped
2 onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, sliced
3 tablespoons of olive oil
1 1/2 cups of Riesling or other white wine
2 cups of diced ripe tomatoes or canned tomatoes
2 tablespoons of fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon of hot pepper flakes
2 pinches of saffron threads
3 bay leaves
4 cups of fish stock or chicken stock
Salt and pepper
Zest of 1 orange
12 ounces of halibut, cut into large chunks
12 ounces of haddock, cut into large chunks
OR
Lots of shellfish - mussels or clams

In a large soup pot, sauté the fennel, onions and garlic in the olive
oil until they soften and smell wonderful. Pour in the wine and simmer
for 15 minutes. Add the tomatoes, fennel seeds, hot pepper flakes,
saffron, bay leaves and fish stock then season with salt and pepper
simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.

This is just long enough for all the flavors to blend together. Add the
orange zest and fish to the simmering soup and stir gently. Let simmer
for 5 minutes and serve immediately.

Four to six servings.

Sounds good, think I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

JohnH

wrote:

[...]

If we put both of our houses together, you'd *still* be the only one who
likes it!
John Gaquin

"JohnH" wrote in message

If we put both of our houses together, you'd *still* be the only one who
likes it!

"Manhattan style clam chowder"

Isn't that oxymoronic? :-)

JoeSpareBedroom

"John Gaquin" wrote in message
. ..

"JohnH" wrote in message

If we put both of our houses together, you'd *still* be the only one who
likes it!

"Manhattan style clam chowder"

Isn't that oxymoronic? :-)

No. Why do you think so?

John Gaquin

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

No. Why do you think so?

sigh

JoeSpareBedroom

"John Gaquin" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

No. Why do you think so?

sigh

I know. It's frustrating, isn't it? Chances are very good that Manhattan
style originated with Italians.