JohnH

Default Ipod revival

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 23:37:28 GMT, Don White wrote:

JohnH wrote:
On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 20:38:03 GMT, Don White wrote:

Harry Krause wrote:

When I was 16, I was working on getting laid every weekend. Took a lot
of effort to be successful, because I was neither handsome nor rich.

Bert had trouble getting dates with the 'palm sisters'.

Damn, Don, does every thread prompt you to make personal attacks?

Now that's just silly John.
I might throw something in every 50 or hundred posts. I don't have the
energy, time or inclination to do so every thread.
When is your term up as sheriff and will anyone else be running next
time? I assume we'll get to vote the next sheriff in.

OK, fine, you don't go name-calling in every thread. But what the hell
prompted the attack on Bert in a thread about Ipods? He didn't even make a
post in the thread, did he?
Don White

JohnH wrote:

OK, fine, you don't go name-calling in every thread. But what the hell
prompted the attack on Bert in a thread about Ipods? He didn't even make a
post in the thread, did he?

What are you...his new mommy?
BTW I didn't call him a name....I just poked some harmless fun at him.
Del Cecchi

"RCE" wrote in message

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
. ..
RCE wrote:
Speaking of Ipods (or iPod) ...

Following my winter time rants about having no use for them (whatever
they are), Mrs.E decided to get one for me.
I have to admit, it seems to be well made ... bright shiny back with
the Apple logo and a nice looking black front panel and screen.
Heavy little thing too.

Problem is .... I don't have a clue what you do with it. Somehow I
turned it on and couldn't shut it off until I sat down and read the
manual. I was looking for where you put the batteries, but the
manual says it charges an internal battery from the USB port on the
computer .... except it warns you to only use type 2.0 USB ports or
something bad might happen. What the heck is a 2.0 USB port?

I assume once I figure out how to hook it up to a computer I will
need to spend hours downloading music from CDs or something to use
this thing. Isn't it easier to just bring the CD to where ever you
want to play it? I just don't get the concept

RCE

If you want, you can call me on the phone and I will be delighted to
talk you through the preliminaries. It will recharge with a wall plug
accessory, but you need to load music on it through your computer. I
don't believe you need USB 2.0 for that.

It only takes a minute or so to dump a CD into a library file on your
computer and then upload it to the iPOD.

Of course, you have to like music to want to mess with an iPOD.

Thanks. I might take you up on that. I think I am going to put it
aside for now and wait until the next batch of rainy, cold weather
hits. That'll give me something to do.

RCE

Most computers from the last few years are usb2. USB1 is dog slow in
comparison. You can buy a USB2 card for your computer if it is too old.
And a CD turns into about 30 or 40 MB of MP3. Maybe less of the Apple
format. So a 30 GB Ipod holds the equivilent of 7-800 CDs. You don't
have to change disks every 30 or 40 minutes and you don't have to carry a
crate of CDs around.

del cecchi

Bill Kearney

RTFM, but you're already learning that...

Isn't it easier to just bring the CD to where ever you want to play it?

just don't get the concept

One disc, 12 tracks. Twelve discs, 144 tracks and a CD wallet the thickness
of a phone book. My iPod has 7,200 tracks on it.

Sure, I had to load up the tracks from CDs but that's a one-time deal. I
found using an older program called "Audio Catalyst" was very handy at doing
them one after another. I'm sure there are more recent ones. I generally
dislike the way iTunes handles it.

You may want to consider adding an external or other drive to your desktop
computer and use that to hold all the audio tracks. I've always found the
192k bitrate to be about the best balance between space savings and
fidelity. There aren't many tracks where that rate isn't sufficient. And
since I own the CDs I can always re-rip the rare track or two that needs
something higher.

JoeSpareBedroom

"Bill Kearney" wrote in message
t...
RTFM, but you're already learning that...

Isn't it easier to just bring the CD to where ever you want to play it?

just don't get the concept

One disc, 12 tracks. Twelve discs, 144 tracks and a CD wallet the
thickness
of a phone book. My iPod has 7,200 tracks on it.

Do the songs HAVE to be compressed, or can you transfer them to the ipod at
CD quality?

JimH wrote:

Last time we spent a week on our old boat at the PIB Island we were docked
in front of a sail boat. The guy who owned it looked like a 50 year old
flower child from the '60's and sat on the bow of his boat every night
strumming the damn thing. I was certainly glad he only stayed for 2 days.
;-)

You ain'r heard nothin' yet. My bagpipe instructor tells my I'm finally
ready to upgrade from the practice chanter, or will be by the time a
set of pipes arrives from the guy in Scotland who is reputed to make
the best insturment available for a realistic price. Just wait until
this flower child gets cranking in that secluded little cove. :-)
(Just kidding! Figuring out where to practice without disturbing people
is going to be challenge)

Bill Kearney

Do the songs HAVE to be compressed, or can you transfer them to the ipod
at
CD quality?

HAVE To? No. But it's often quite a bit more desirable to use compression
as it takes considerably less space. For what's arguably a wasted amount of
"better" fidelity. There's just not enough difference to hear on the
headphones or in a vehicle/boat. Sure, the audiophiles will make all sorts
of arguments about 'quality' but they're largely talking outta their ass.

I'll trade the choice of faster loading, putting more on the device and
having decent fidelity over any so-called purist arguments any day.

Those Hot Chicks! JimH General 9 June 3rd 06 03:44 PM
Best iPOD for car device... JimH General 0 April 12th 06 11:31 PM
Add'l iPOD programs JimH General 0 March 12th 06 11:57 PM
Better earphones for iPods? ellis General 9 January 27th 06 01:58 AM
Sirius and Ipod on Board Capt. Rob ASA 55 January 13th 06 06:19 PM