ellis

Default Better earphones for iPods?

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

What earphones are you using on your MP3 players?

The ones that came with my iPod (minipods that stick in the edges of the
ear canal) aren't bad soundwise, but there are more expensive little pods
out there. Incredibly expensive, in some case. Anyone purchased any
reasonably price little earphones for their players that actually go
partially in the ear canal and are comfy?

Thanks.

I use a Sennheiser studio headphones. I can't stand these little ear plug
thingies that kink around.

Doug Kanter

ellis wrote:
"Harry Krause" wrote in message
What earphones are you using on your MP3 players?

The ones that came with my iPod (minipods that stick in the edges of the
ear canal) aren't bad soundwise, but there are more expensive little
pods out there. Incredibly expensive, in some case. Anyone purchased any
reasonably price little earphones for their players that actually go
partially in the ear canal and are comfy?

Thanks.

I use a Sennheiser studio headphones. I can't stand these little ear
plug thingies that kink around.

I have a couple of pair of good headphones for home use and to use on
airplanes, and such. I'm looking for a better pair of earpods for use in
downtown DC and other places where wearing full headphones is a bit much.
I ordered a pair today...not expensive. We'll see how they are.

Downtown DC? As in, walking around the streets listening to music?

ellis

Harry Krause wrote:
ellis wrote:
"Harry Krause" wrote in message
What earphones are you using on your MP3 players?

The ones that came with my iPod (minipods that stick in the edges of
the ear canal) aren't bad soundwise, but there are more expensive
little pods out there. Incredibly expensive, in some case. Anyone
purchased any reasonably price little earphones for their players that
actually go partially in the ear canal and are comfy?

Thanks.
I use a Sennheiser studio headphones. I can't stand these little ear
plug thingies that kink around.

I have a couple of pair of good headphones for home use and to use on
airplanes, and such. I'm looking for a better pair of earpods for use in
downtown DC and other places where wearing full headphones is a bit much.
I ordered a pair today...not expensive. We'll see how they are.

This is what I ordered:

http://www.ezgear4u.com/ultraEarsSX70.htm

I'm a little weary of these ear plugs that go into deep in to the ear canal.
There has been some media coverage on potential damage to the ear due to
decibel level.
http://www.4hearingloss.com/archives...el_danger.html. I'd be
careful not to play the Ipod too loud. The reason I chose regular
lightweight studio headphones is because when I'm in a crowd, I want to
drown out the crowd noise and play music (or podcast) at an acceptable level
that won't hurt my ear. It's almost impossible to do that with ear plugs.

ellis

news

Harry Krause wrote:
ellis wrote:
[...]

Actually, this is a better article:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/ptech/1....protect.reut/

Researcher: iPod earbuds could damage hearing

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- The ever-popular earbuds used with many iPods
and other MP3 players may be more stylish than the bigger and bulkier
earmuff-type headphones, but they may also be more damaging to one's
hearing, according to a Northwestern professor.

"No one really knows for sure" the levels at which iPod users listen
to music, but "what we do know is that young people like their music loud
and seldom worry about any decline in hearing ability," Dean Garstecki,
chairman of Northwestern's communication sciences and disorders department,
told Reuters.

The earbuds commonly used by iPod listeners are placed directly into
the ear and can boost the audio signal by as many as nine decibels --
comparable to the difference in sound intensity between an alarm clock and a
lawn mower, Garstecki said.

Yet, the earbuds do not always fit snugly in the ear, but often allow
background noise to seep in, which causes listeners to crank up the volume.

In turning up the volume to drown out background noise, however,
people "don't realize they may be causing some damage" to their hearing,
Garstecki said.

This danger is not confined to MP3 users, such as iPod owners. Earbuds
are also used with compact disc players and Walkmans. Audiologists have
cautioned about the potential risk of hearing loss associated with such
devices since the 1980s.

The longer battery life and the greater music storage capacity of MP3
players, in comparison to Walkmans and compact discs, however, encourage
longer periods of uninterrupted music listening.

"It's the combination of high intensity and long duration that creates
the unique problem with the iPod," Garstecki said.

Various researchers have reported an increased risk of hearing loss
associated with headphone use in the general population. Despite this, an
MTV survey conducted earlier this year revealed that most teens and young
adults do not think hearing loss from loud music is a big problem, even
though over half of those surveyed said they experienced ringing in their
ears after concerts.

When told that the loud music may lead to lifelong hearing loss,
however, most of the survey participants said they would consider protective
measures in the future.

Eliminating iPod earbuds in favor of larger earmuff-style headphones
as one of those protective measures may be an unattractive option for many
style-conscious music lovers. Instead, Garstecki recommends adherence to the
60 percent/30 minute rule.

Listeners should set their iPods and other MP3 players to sound levels
that are no more than 60 percent of the maximum volume -- i.e. just over
halfway between "off" and "maximum" volume -- and use their earbuds for no
more than 30 minutes a day.

Those who use muff-style headphones at 60 percent volume can increase
the duration to an hour a day, and those who listen at volumes significantly
lower than 60 percent of the maximum can use their music players for many
more hours.

Also, newer, more snug-fitting earbuds are "likely to be safer" if
they prevent users from turning up the volume to eliminate background noise,
Garstecki said.

"It's when you start cranking it up that you have to limit the
dosage," he explained.

Noise-canceling headphones are another option for those who desire to
listen to music for an extended period of time.

These devices, while a bit more costly and more visible than earbuds,
partially or fully eliminate background noise so that users do not have to
crank up the volume of their music for that purpose.

Copyright 2005 Reuters. All rights reserved.This material may not be
published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Attached Images
File Type: gif mainLogo.gif (2.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: gif spacer.gif (43 Bytes, 1 views)
Doug Kanter

ellis wrote:
[...]

Sure.

Aren't you the guy who was worried about hiking where there were dangerous
animals? Don't you want all your senses available to you when you're around
the MOST dangerous ones?

JohnH

ellis wrote:
[...]

LOL!
--
John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
Reggie Smithers

ellis wrote:
[...]

I've been walking around downtown DC since the early 1970s, all over the
city. I've never had the slightest problem in the city, and I sometimes
visit sites in pretty rough neighborhoods.

Harry,
I would not worry about walking around DC, but you still are more likely
to be attacked in DC, then in SV.

--
Reggie
That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Doug Kanter

ellis wrote:
[...]

The hell with the neighborhood. Alcoholics sometimes start with the
cocktails in the morning. Don't you want to hear when their wheels hit the
curb?

JohnH

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 19:55:53 -0500, Reggie Smithers
wrote:

ellis wrote:
[...]

I would walk around anywhere between Pennsylvania Ave, Independence Ave,
1st Street and 23rd Street anytime of day or night. Other than that, I'd
stay away from downtown after dark.

But, some folks are more brave than I.
--
'Til next time,

[...]