Don White

Default cabin ceiling cleaning

JimH wrote:
"Mike" wrote in message
ups.com...

The ceiling of my boat's cabin is stretched white fabric with small
holes over foam (I imagine). I wish I could describe it better, but
even though I think it's a pretty common fixture in cabins, I've never
heard a name for it. In any case, years of cooking and general use has
yellowed it. I've tried spray-on bleach, but with no success (the
spray clouded up the cabin and burned my eyes...and the fabric was
still dirty).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike

You can try using a carpet steam cleaning machine using a wand and nozzle
attachment. Other than that you can try cleaning it with an 'oxiclean' type
cleaner. We used the 'oxiclean' for a corner area of the headliner on our
last boat (stained from a water leak which I repaired) and it worked great.
It may be too tough of a task for a large headliner area though.

According to at least one poster here, he'd need a full containment suit
to keep the Oxiclean from damaging his liver, kidneys...etc.
JimH

"Don White" wrote in message
JimH wrote:
"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

I have never seen such disclaimers from their product label or website. Can
you refer us to some specific instructions on the use of using full
'containment suits' when using their product?

I am not saying the precautions do not exist..............only that I never
saw them. ;-)

Garth Almgren

Around 5/31/2006 3:11 PM, Mike wrote:

The ceiling of my boat's cabin is stretched white fabric with small
holes over foam (I imagine). I wish I could describe it better, but
even though I think it's a pretty common fixture in cabins, I've never
heard a name for it. In any case, years of cooking and general use has
yellowed it. I've tried spray-on bleach, but with no success (the
spray clouded up the cabin and burned my eyes...and the fabric was
still dirty).

Any ideas?

Perhaps some Simple Green? That stuff is really great, especially undiluted.

I also like the steam cleaning idea.

--
~/Garth - 1966 Glastron V-142 Skiflite: "Blue-Boat"
"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
Don White

JimH wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message

JimH wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
groups.com...

[...]

Just quoting a poster from the cruising newsgroup. I have a tub of the
stuff from Costco and I do believe it mentions not to get on the skin or
in your mouth/eyes.
Reginald P. Smithers

Mike wrote:
The ceiling of my boat's cabin is stretched white fabric with small
holes over foam (I imagine). I wish I could describe it better, but
even though I think it's a pretty common fixture in cabins, I've never
heard a name for it. In any case, years of cooking and general use has
yellowed it. I've tried spray-on bleach, but with no success (the
spray clouded up the cabin and burned my eyes...and the fabric was
still dirty).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike

It is called "Mouse Fur". I have found OxyClean and a good degreaser (I
prefer the Orange Cleaner because it smells nice)is a great all around
cleaner for the "Mouse Fur" and the carpeting. It will remove stains
and kill the mildew onboard.

--
Reggie

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Reginald P. Smithers

Mike wrote:
Thanks for the quick replies, steam cleaning is a great idea. I have a
friend with a mini steam cleaner which would be perfect to use in the
cabin. 409 is pretty much what I'd tried originally, but some hard
scrubbing might help. And I'll only replace it if all else fails...

Thanks,
Mike

Mike,.

Use OxyClean in the steam cleaning solution, along with the regular
cleaner. It will look like new. I would pretreat the greasy area of
the "Mouse Fur" with any good degreaser (Orange stuff or 409) and it
should end up looking like new.

The OxyClean will also get rid of the mold and mildew that you have on
most boats.

Reginald P. Smithers wrote:
Mike wrote:
Thanks for the quick replies, steam cleaning is a great idea. I have a
friend with a mini steam cleaner which would be perfect to use in the
cabin. 409 is pretty much what I'd tried originally, but some hard
scrubbing might help. And I'll only replace it if all else fails...

Thanks,
Mike

Mike,.

Use OxyClean in the steam cleaning solution, along with the regular
cleaner. It will look like new. I would pretreat the greasy area of
the "Mouse Fur" with any good degreaser (Orange stuff or 409) and it
should end up looking like new.

The OxyClean will also get rid of the mold and mildew that you have on
most boats.

PS - The steam cleaner is a great idea and works well, but as long as
you can keep the hatch open so the boat can dry out, it really isn't
necessary. I have soaked the headliner and the carpeting with the
OxyClean solution and Orange cleaner, and then just left the hatches
open to allow the moisture to escape. If you use the steam cleaner, it
will be dry after one day, if you don't it will be dry in two days.

--
Reggie

That's my story and I am sticking to it.
JohnH

On Wed, 31 May 2006 19:08:29 -0700, Garth Almgren
wrote:

Around 5/31/2006 3:11 PM, Mike wrote:

The ceiling of my boat's cabin is stretched white fabric with small
holes over foam (I imagine). I wish I could describe it better, but
even though I think it's a pretty common fixture in cabins, I've never
heard a name for it. In any case, years of cooking and general use has
yellowed it. I've tried spray-on bleach, but with no success (the
spray clouded up the cabin and burned my eyes...and the fabric was
still dirty).

Any ideas?

Perhaps some Simple Green? That stuff is really great, especially undiluted.

I also like the steam cleaning idea.

Simple Green is also a great degreaser. It's kept my motorcycle looking
great for years!
--
'Til next time,

John H