Roger Long

Default How to restore teak cabin sole?

Our boat has a parquet teak cabin sole that appears to have been
varnished but it might have been an oil product. The former owners did
not respond to an inquiry about what was on it (the downside of
getting a boat at a really, really, good price).

Any ideas about what would be the safest thing to put on it? I don’t
want to try varnish because it would be a nightmare to get off if it
didn’t stick. All the little blocks are at slightly different heights
so sanding or rubbing would be impossible. For the same reason, wear
is very uneven.

It needs some cleaning but, unless I do each individual block with a Q
tip or toothbrush, it’s going to be a difficult job.

--

Roger Long

krj

Roger Long wrote:
Our boat has a parquet teak cabin sole that appears to have been
varnished but it might have been an oil product. The former owners did
not respond to an inquiry about what was on it (the downside of
getting a boat at a really, really, good price).

Any ideas about what would be the safest thing to put on it? I don’t
want to try varnish because it would be a nightmare to get off if it
didn’t stick. All the little blocks are at slightly different heights
so sanding or rubbing would be impossible. For the same reason, wear
is very uneven.

It needs some cleaning but, unless I do each individual block with a Q
tip or toothbrush, it’s going to be a difficult job.

Roger,
Ultimate sole is the best. They have instructions on their web site.
http://www.ultimatesole.com/
krj
Dennis Pogson

Roger Long wrote:
Our boat has a parquet teak cabin sole that appears to have been
varnished but it might have been an oil product. The former owners did
not respond to an inquiry about what was on it (the downside of
getting a boat at a really, really, good price).

Any ideas about what would be the safest thing to put on it? I don't
want to try varnish because it would be a nightmare to get off if it
didn't stick. All the little blocks are at slightly different heights
so sanding or rubbing would be impossible. For the same reason, wear
is very uneven.

It needs some cleaning but, unless I do each individual block with a Q
tip or toothbrush, it's going to be a difficult job.

If the sole is in poor condition, it is better to replace it with decent
stuff.

Glenn A. Heslop

What kinds of wood are suitable for a new sole? I was thinking of pulling
mine up and replacing it with maple hardwood flooring.

Glenn.
s/v Seawing
www.seawing.net

Roger Long wrote:
Our boat has a parquet teak cabin sole that appears to have been
varnished but it might have been an oil product. The former owners
did not respond to an inquiry about what was on it (the downside of
getting a boat at a really, really, good price).

Any ideas about what would be the safest thing to put on it? I don't
want to try varnish because it would be a nightmare to get off if it
didn't stick. All the little blocks are at slightly different
heights so sanding or rubbing would be impossible. For the same
reason, wear is very uneven.

It needs some cleaning but, unless I do each individual block with
a Q tip or toothbrush, it's going to be a difficult job.

If the sole is in poor condition, it is better to replace it with
decent stuff.

Teak/holly veneered marine ply, to give that imitation "planked" effect.
Other decorative woods are also available. Expensive? yes, but it will make
such a difference to your boat you will love it!

Paul Cassel

Glenn A. Heslop wrote:
What kinds of wood are suitable for a new sole? I was thinking of pulling
mine up and replacing it with maple hardwood flooring.

Maple would work very well. Any of many hardwoods would work. A recent
Sail magazine had some nice alternatives to teak / holly.

I, for example, used koa and basswood.
Glenn A. Heslop

I am looking to replace the sole in my boat and was hoping to brighten
things up a bit. The rest of the finish has alot of plastic-laminate and
not so much real wood. Any idea of products I could use...some kind of a
veneer to make the rest of the interior 'wood' to match my new floor?

Glenn.

Roger Long wrote:
[...]

John Glynn

That sound like a great idea. I probably won't use that for the sole, but
to cover up some of the 'wood-grain' plastic laminate and give the boat a
warmer homey feel.

Thanx,
Glenn.
s/v Seawing
www.seawing.net

"ray lunder" wrote in message
Probably not everyone's solution but I glued a 3mm marine mahogany ply
piece on mine using the removable sole as a patern. After some stain
and varnish it looks very nice. (compared to the fishing boat, diesel
oil grime that was down). I used West Systems, or West Marine, I can't
remember which.

What boat for me? Frank Boettcher ASA 43 February 21st 06 05:24 PM
Attaching a set of Winches to cabin top Thomas Wentworth Boat Building 3 January 18th 06 05:04 PM
Teak seam caulk Glenn Ashmore Boat Building 20 January 13th 06 05:19 PM