Mike C

Default Troubleshooting water in cabin

I've been trying to troubleshoot water in my cabin for a while. The
entire lower carpeted area in front of the galley on my 98 MAXUM SCR
2400 is constantly wet.

I've eliminated the water system and fridge.

I sucked up the water in the carpet with a wet vac, and within 5
minutes, it was squishy again. There is no standing water, but it is
very damp.

I looked in the compartment under and next to the head where the fridge
is. It is bone dry.

The mid-ship blige had a small amount of water, but I tested the bilge
and it works. I sucked the water out of there with the vac, and it
remained dry while I was at the boat over an hour.

I looked in the compartment under the table and there was some water in
there. I sucked that out several times with the vac, but it always
seemed to re-appear. No idea where this is coming from. We are talking
maybe an inch of water tops.

I closed the a/c intake and head intake in the engine compartment and
that made no difference.

I used a hose on the outside drains and no water appeared in the cabin.

Any other ideas on what I can try before calling someone in?

RG

"Mike C" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Is the boat in the water? Sounds like it is. Since you've eliminated
on-board systems as the source, it is likely sea water. First order of
business is to get the boat out of the water and closely inspect the hull
and all through-hull fittings. In your previous post you mentioned that the
boat is launched by the marina with a fork lift. It's not unthinkable that
the fork lift operator put a small hole in the hull. Maybe not, but if the
water stops appearing after the boat is on land, then at least you know for
sure that the source is indeed seawater. Then it's just a matter of finding
the ingress point.

JIMinFL

"RG" wrote in message
m...

"Mike C" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You make it sound so easy, RG. Finding leaks can be a real bitch. Hauling
the boat and putting it on stands or a trailer is a good Idea. Eliminating
the hull and underwater components would make the owner more comfortable.
Then you would be limiting your search to on board systems, and above the
waterline integrity. patience and persistence are key.

JohnH

On Thu, 11 May 2006 16:49:18 GMT, "JIMinFL" wrote:

"RG" wrote in message
om...

"Mike C" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

If the boat were hauled, and water poured into the compartment that fills
with water, and if there were a crack in the hull, would the water drain
out and expose the crack?
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
basskisser

JohnH wrote:
On Thu, 11 May 2006 16:49:18 GMT, "JIMinFL" wrote:

"RG" wrote in message
om...

"Mike C" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

That's exactly what I did with a friend's Alumacraft bass boat. He was
getting water in the bilge when fishing, so, when it was on the
trailer, we simply put a garden hose in it with the drain plug in, and
got under it and watched. Sure enough, a seam was leaking.

RG

If the boat were hauled, and water poured into the compartment that fills
with water, and if there were a crack in the hull, would the water drain
out and expose the crack?
--

It should. The only exception would be in the case of a very marginal leak.
The water pressure induced by the boat being in the water and allowing water

The OP claims to have eliminated all on-board systems as the source due to
draining all tanks. Maybe so, but onboard water systems would be highly
suspect, since the leak has appeared immediately after post-winterization
recommissioning. On the other hand, the leak appears to be pretty quick to
re-present itself (within 5 minutes) after vacuuming up the water and with
all on-board systems drained and turned off. That sure sounds like a sea
water leak to me. The OP hasn't specifically mentioned if water was ever
found in the aft bilge. He only mentions water in the forward bilge. On
some boats, one drains into the other. On my boat, the two are physically
separated, each with it's own set of pumps and they do not drain into each
other. Based on the limited information given, I'm guessing that the owner
is a relative newbie, with little understanding of the boat and its systems.
These things can sometimes be difficult to trace, but nearly impossible if
you don't have a solid understanding of how the boat is put together and how
it works. With a solid knowledge of the boat and a methodical process of
elimination, it really shouldn't be that difficult to diagnose.

It's time for action. If it were me, I'd have the boat hauled immediately.
If it is a sea water leak, letting the boat remain in the water only
exacerbates the damage already done. The cabin carpet and perhaps even the
flooring underneath is probably already ruined. The OP mentioned earlier
that the floor felt soft. The carpet is permanently glued to the cabin
flooring, and will have to be ripped up. Mold and mildew will be an issue
going forward. Not pretty.

JIMinFL

"JohnH" wrote in message
On Thu, 11 May 2006 16:49:18 GMT, "JIMinFL" wrote:

"RG" wrote in message
. com...

"Mike C" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I hope this isn't a trick question. It would as long as the water level is
above the crack.

Mike C

The boat is in the water, but I (think) remember it being wet on the
stands before it went in the water last month.

I should have added that the people I paid to winterize the boat did
not. This caused many problems (leaking hot water heater, filters,
pressurizing pump) and I originally thought that was the cause. I
drained all the water system and STILL had the water in the cabin
problem. However, I am wondering if this is related some otehr way.

I have heard people talk of the drain plug. Where is this located?
Could it be possible the winterizing people pulled it and din't put it
back in? I am not familiar with the drain plug at all.

There is a normal water in the aft bilge. My blige compartments aren't
connected.

Mike C

I have a decent knowledge of the boat. I've had it 7 yrs. I have
eliminated everything internal. The only thing I can think that is
causing it is a crack. My question with that is that why is the water
only dampening the carpet and not accumulating? I guess it could be
high enough up rather than on the bottom.

I think the next step is probably (unfortunately) obvious- pulling boat
out. As I don't have a trailer and the closest dealer is 50 miles away,
it is a problem....