Jim Bryant

Default Lower Unit Maintenance

This is probably a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. I have an 89 Maxum
SC 2000 with the Mercruiser Alpha One lower unit. Can someone explain to me
how I check the oil, drain and refill the oil etc? I only see one screw
located on the front of what I think is called the bullet.

Jim

jiminfl

The plug on bullet is the drain/fill plug. There is a vent plug on the
side of the drive near the top where the decals are. To check it loosen
the lower plug enough to let 1/2 oz or so drain into a small container
then tighten the plug back up. Watch carefully to see if any water
comes out before the oil. Water=bad. Examine the oil. Cloudy or
brownish or whiteish=bad. Shiny flecks in the oil=bad. The oil
shouldn't feel gritty if you rub it between your fingers.

To check the level, make sure the engine hasn't been run for several
hours. remove the vent screw and watch for the oil to be at the bottom
of the screw threads and maybe dripping out just a little.

For refilling, get a pump kit from your dealer and refill thru the
bottom hole. watch for the oil to start coming out the vent hole then
stop pumping. Replace the vent screw, then quickly remove the pump and
replace the drain screw. This part of the job can be messy if you don't
work fast.

It takes a quart,maybe a little more, to fill an alpha 1.
Hope this helps,
Jim

Jim Bryant

I notice that when the engine is running with a muff attached, that there is
a water stream from a hole on the right side just above the bullet. Is this
ok.

Jim
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"jiminfl" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Yes it's ok. It's a drain for a cavity in the front end of the lower
unit.
Jim

William Andersen

When I changed the lube in my lower unit, the reservoir also drained. I
didn't realize it until I thought I was all done. So, don't stop pumping
when the fluid comes out the vent hole. After you replace the vent screw,
make sure the reservoir is full. If not, keep pumping until it is. I didn't,
I added fluid to the reservoir from the cap on the reservoir and ended up
with an air bubble in the system. It took hours of operation and constant
topping off of the reservoir to get the drive refilled with lube.

"jiminfl" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I don't think his has a reservoir, but if it does there would be a hose
connected in place of the vent screw. You are right about the method
for filling the res. bottle.
Happy veteran's day, William.
Jim

N.L. Eckert

Don't forget the 2 zerk fittings on the U-joints . These should be
greased every spring or at least every 50 to 100 hours.. It requires
pulling the lower unit and installing a new gasket kit.