Default Why Put a Plastic Bag Over the Lower Unit of an Outboard Motor for Winterizing?

I am wondering why people want to put a plastic bag over the lower unit
of an outboard motor for winterizing (with holes on the bottom of the
plastic bag for drainage). I come across this suggestions in this
newsgroup; but I don't understand the reasoning. I understand that
rain water or melted snow water may find its way into the lower unit.
But I think they will be naturally drained out from the lower unit,
right? Why do I need to cover the lower unit if the water will be gone
by itself anyway? The owner manual of my Mercury outboard motor
doesn't say anything about covering up the lower unit in freezing cold
winter either.

Any idea? Thanks.

Jay Chan

To keep Bugs and/or rodents out. Mud wasps could build a nest in there and
clog it up.

This makes senses now. I doubt this matters now that the outdoor is
cold and no flying insects any more. But I will do this next spring to
prevent wraps from building nest inside the water passageway.

Thanks.

Jay Chan