Don Dando

Default 1987 9.9 Evinrude

Hi,

If it were mine I'd remove the spark plugs and test for spark so you won't
have to crank excessively only to find there is no spark Be certain that
the water weep hold has not been stopped up by insects and watch it when the
engine is 1st started for adequate water flow. Initially run the motor with
the cover off and feel around for hot spots, you should be able to touch it
everywhere while it is running in a test tank or on a boat in the water. If
it starts and runs ok, I'd replace the water pump impeller, they are so
cheap compared to replacing a burned up motor.

If you find water in the lower unit, I'd take the unit apart and verify that
the bearings and gears are in good condition. (Do not remove the bolt near
the leading end of the unit on the side of the unit case, you'll cause
yourself a lot of extra work). If there is water in the lower unit, see if
fishing line is wrapped around the prop shaft and has damaged the seals. If
that is not the case look for bad seals or damaged shafts that may not fit
securely with a seal.

Start it up and enjoy hearing it purr!

Don Dando