mark

Default diesel jetdrives

Does anyone here have any experience with a 250hp mercruiser/cummins
jet/sterndrive. Would it be a good candidate to repower a 31' X 12' aluminum
workboat. What are the pros/cons of a jetdrive vs a prop sterndrive.

MGG

I have no experience with that particular jet drive. However I have two
160HP yamaha jets on my boat. The 2 biggest drawbacks of a jetdrive a

1) Getting crud caught on the pump intake grate. Usually it only happens at
slow speed, and is generally easy to clear. I've run my new boat for about
12 hours, and it's only happened once.
2) Slow speed handling...Without a big stern drive or a proper rudder in the
water, it's a different animal at slow speeds. I know a guy that fabs fins
to attach to the jet nozzle that GREATLY improves the slow speed handling.
If you need it, I'll get the link to you.

I really love my jet drive boat. Good luck with your decision.

--Mike

"mark" wrote in message
Does anyone here have any experience with a 250hp mercruiser/cummins
jet/sterndrive. Would it be a good candidate to repower a 31' X 12'
aluminum workboat. What are the pros/cons of a jetdrive vs a prop
sterndrive.

Bill Kiene

I was up in Cordova, Alaska a few years ago and saw aluminum commercial work
boats that were powered by GM gasoline V8s with jet drives. I asked why they
used them in the ocean because they are not as fuel efficient as a propeller
drive. They said because they work nets right in close to the shallows and
they had less damage with a jet drives. Outboard jets have about 30% lose of
power while inboard jet drives have about 15%.

If you don't have a reason (running in shallow water) for a jet drive I
would stay away from them.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA

Web site: www.kiene.com

"mark" wrote in message
Does anyone here have any experience with a 250hp mercruiser/cummins
jet/sterndrive. Would it be a good candidate to repower a 31' X 12'
aluminum workboat. What are the pros/cons of a jetdrive vs a prop
sterndrive.

MGG

Bill,

For a work boat, I'd have to agree with you 100%. Unless, you're working in
the shallows like you mentioned. However on a pleasure boat, they are
nothing but fun.

I have a Yamaha twin engine jet (23') (320hp total) and it's a pure blast.
Tubing, wakeboarding, skiing, and just cruising, it's great. Maybe the fuel
economy is poor, but I don't see a huge difference in usage over my last
boat that was a 190hp stern drive. Try doing a "U" turn in less than 15'
radius at 45mph, and you'll understand the "fun factor." Don't worry,
everyone is warned before I pull a stunt like that. g

--Mike

t...

"mark" wrote in message
Does anyone here have any experience with a 250hp mercruiser/cummins
jet/sterndrive. Would it be a good candidate to repower a 31' X 12'
aluminum workboat. What are the pros/cons of a jetdrive vs a prop
sterndrive.

Calif Bill

t...

"mark" wrote in message
Does anyone here have any experience with a 250hp mercruiser/cummins
jet/sterndrive. Would it be a good candidate to repower a 31' X 12'
aluminum workboat. What are the pros/cons of a jetdrive vs a prop
sterndrive.

The newer Hamiltons only lose about 5%. As to the diesel question, go the
the forums at www.riverjetmagazine.com Maxrat is a builder and has done a
couple of the first diesel jets in riverboats. Is working with Yanmar and
Cummins.

mark

I decided on a remanufactured cummins 6BTA5.9 "250hp" Velvet drive 72 series
1:1 and a Konrad 520 outdrive. What do you think of those engines. The
dealer is setting it up with a water pump from a 315, glow plugs and an
inline injection pump.

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
nk.net...

t...

"mark" wrote in message
Does anyone here have any experience with a 250hp mercruiser/cummins
jet/sterndrive. Would it be a good candidate to repower a 31' X 12'
aluminum workboat. What are the pros/cons of a jetdrive vs a prop
sterndrive.

The newer Hamiltons only lose about 5%. As to the diesel question, go the
the forums at www.riverjetmagazine.com Maxrat is a builder and has done a
couple of the first diesel jets in riverboats. Is working with Yanmar and
Cummins.

FS-Yanmar 9 Hp Diesel Inboard motor used located in Cocoa Beach,Florida Dennis Marketplace 0 April 18th 06 10:01 PM
Marine diesel fuel gus General 4 April 10th 06 05:32 AM
Diesel fuel sight gauge Richard J Kinch Cruising 8 April 8th 06 09:18 PM
Bleeding a diesel engine Gogarty Cruising 13 December 25th 05 08:40 PM
mastic/sealer for diesel tanks Nigel Boat Building 9 December 1st 05 03:50 AM