gus

Default Marine diesel fuel

I'm in California, and I have a 1990 model sailboat with a Volvo
two cylinder diesel engine. My question is ..... is there a difference
between "marine diesel fuel" that you buy in a marina, and the
typical diesel fuel for cars and trucks? Will car/truck diesel
fuel harm my marine engine?

The reason I ask is that I vaguely recall that changes in
deisel fuel formulation for over the road vehicles, made to
meet emissions regulations, might harm marine engines,
and accordingly that diesel fuel sold in marinas is different
than that sold for cars/trucks ???

Calif Bill

"gus" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm in California, and I have a 1990 model sailboat with a Volvo
two cylinder diesel engine. My question is ..... is there a difference
between "marine diesel fuel" that you buy in a marina, and the
typical diesel fuel for cars and trucks? Will car/truck diesel
fuel harm my marine engine?

The reason I ask is that I vaguely recall that changes in
deisel fuel formulation for over the road vehicles, made to
meet emissions regulations, might harm marine engines,
and accordingly that diesel fuel sold in marinas is different
than that sold for cars/trucks ???

Marine diesel and off road diesel is know as "red diesel". Only difference
is a red dye to mark it as non road taxed fuel.

RCE

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...

"gus" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm in California, and I have a 1990 model sailboat with a Volvo
two cylinder diesel engine. My question is ..... is there a difference
between "marine diesel fuel" that you buy in a marina, and the
typical diesel fuel for cars and trucks? Will car/truck diesel
fuel harm my marine engine?

The reason I ask is that I vaguely recall that changes in
deisel fuel formulation for over the road vehicles, made to
meet emissions regulations, might harm marine engines,
and accordingly that diesel fuel sold in marinas is different
than that sold for cars/trucks ???

Marine diesel and off road diesel is know as "red diesel". Only
difference is a red dye to mark it as non road taxed fuel.

The other difference is that Marine diesel, tax or no tax, is the most
expensive fuel of all, except maybe uranium fuel rods for a nuclear power
plant.

Seriously, is the diesel sold at marinas and fuel docks really the red
stuff? I never noticed.

RCE

RCE

"RCE" wrote in message

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...

"gus" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Started thinking about it and maybe I've answered my own question. The fuel
in the Racors certainly looks red. So maybe it is the off-road variety.

RCE

William Andersen

It isn't that it's an off road variety: it's the same diesel. It's just
identified by color for tax purposes as intended for other than highway use.

"RCE" wrote in message

"RCE" wrote in message

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...