posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats
Tamaroak

Default Diesel fuel sight gauge

The sight gauges on my diesel tanks are so cloudy they are worthless.
They are made of some 1/2" plastic pipe and I want to replace them. The
company I'm dealing with is so gutless and liability oriented they won't
tell me whether diesel will destroy or erode their ester-based
polycarbonate tubing.

Is there anyone out there with a chemistry background with an opinion on
this?

Capt. Jeff
posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats
Richard J Kinch

Tamaroak writes:

Is there anyone out there with a chemistry background with an opinion on
this?

Comes now http://www.coleparmer.com/techinfo/ChemComp.asp
and witnesseth:

The Material Selected Polycarbonate
Interacting with the Chemical Diesel Fuel
Has a Compatibility Level of A-Excellent

I would suggest you put samples (including thin shavings) of your plastic
in a capped Mason jar of diesel fuel starting now, as a test. Have a look
in another few weeks or months.

Polycarbonate is the usual item for machine tool safety shields, where it
is constantly sprayed with hot hydrocarbon oils.

Seems like I've heard something about oils embrittling polycarbonate.
posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats
Jeff Rigby

"Tamaroak" wrote in message
The sight gauges on my diesel tanks are so cloudy they are worthless. They
are made of some 1/2" plastic pipe and I want to replace them. The company
I'm dealing with is so gutless and liability oriented they won't tell me
whether diesel will destroy or erode their ester-based polycarbonate
tubing.

Is there anyone out there with a chemistry background with an opinion on
this?

Capt. Jeff

Just as a novice I'd think that it can work but diesel additives (by
consumers) to stop growth and extend the life of the fuels are probably of
more concern.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats
Wayne.B

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 20:52:15 -0700, Tamaroak
wrote:

The sight gauges on my diesel tanks are so cloudy they are worthless.
They are made of some 1/2" plastic pipe and I want to replace them. The
company I'm dealing with is so gutless and liability oriented they won't
tell me whether diesel will destroy or erode their ester-based
polycarbonate tubing.

There's another issue which is heat resistance in a fire. If your
sight guages melt down in a few seconds of exposure to flame, your
entire fuel tank is now emptying into the fire.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats
Ed

can't you put a brass valve on the bottom of the tank then connect to
the site guage? Only turn the valve on when looking at the guage....
If it cracks (or burns) you only lose a very small amount into the bilge.

wrote:

The sight gauges on my diesel tanks are so cloudy they are worthless.
They are made of some 1/2" plastic pipe and I want to replace them. The
company I'm dealing with is so gutless and liability oriented they won't
tell me whether diesel will destroy or erode their ester-based
polycarbonate tubing.

There's another issue which is heat resistance in a fire. If your
sight guages melt down in a few seconds of exposure to flame, your
entire fuel tank is now emptying into the fire.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats
Keith

One of the recommendations by my surveyor was that I replace my diesel
sight tubes that were vinyl tubing with polycarbonate. I did and no
problems several years later. As far as fire, they should be isolated
with valves that are always closed unless you are actually checking
fuel levels. Polycarbonate tubing is what's used extensively in the
petrochemical industry for sight tubes for diesel, gasoline, etc. You
can find it online, or at service station supply places.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats
Paul Cassel

Tamaroak wrote:
The sight gauges on my diesel tanks are so cloudy they are worthless.
They are made of some 1/2" plastic pipe and I want to replace them. The
company I'm dealing with is so gutless and liability oriented they won't
tell me whether diesel will destroy or erode their ester-based
polycarbonate tubing.

Is there anyone out there with a chemistry background with an opinion on
this?

Capt. Jeff

I'd lose the glass as it makes for a weak point in your tankage. A
dipstick is a lot easier to use, safer and after you get used to your
engine, not even necessary. I could always predict my fuel needs at any
given time based on hours of engine use. You do have a Hobbes, right?

Tamaroak wrote:
The sight gauges on my diesel tanks are so cloudy they are worthless.
They are made of some 1/2" plastic pipe and I want to replace them. The
company I'm dealing with is so gutless and liability oriented they won't
tell me whether diesel will destroy or erode their ester-based
polycarbonate tubing.

Is there anyone out there with a chemistry background with an opinion on
this?

Capt. Jeff

The sight tubes have valves on top and bottom which are only opened when
we are checking fuel levels. I went with the polycarbonate tubing and
will post this group if it doesn't work out.

Capt. Jeff