posted to rec.boats.building
Nigel

Default mastic/sealer for diesel tanks

I have inspection hatches on the sides of my diesel tanks. Currently they
have a rubber (might not actually be rubber) gasket sealing them, but one is
seeping slightly. I'm pretty sure if I tighten the bolts any more they will
shear. I think I need a stikaflex type sealant, but I can't find suitable
for use with diesel fuel... any suggestions, available in the UK preferably

thanks

posted to rec.boats.building
Lew Hodgett

Nigel wrote:
I have inspection hatches on the sides of my diesel tanks. Currently they
have a rubber (might not actually be rubber) gasket sealing them, but one is
seeping slightly. I'm pretty sure if I tighten the bolts any more they will
shear. I think I need a stikaflex type sealant, but I can't find suitable
for use with diesel fuel... any suggestions, available in the UK preferably

SikaFlex 291 is approved for diesel, 292 is NOT.

Lew
posted to rec.boats.building
Ron White

I had some large acess covers ( about 6" dia.) that always were a problem
with leaks and I had tried various rubber and cork gaskets and sealants.
Finally I did some research and deciced to use some aircraft fuel tank
sealant. I found plenty info on the internet but ended up going out th the
airport to and bought some from a local aircraft parts dealer. It was a two
part polysulfide compound. Since you have diesel (mine was gas) get one that
is approved for jet fuel. They have a flowable (class A) and a thixotropic
paste (class B) which I used. That stuff realy worked. I think this will
work for you as well.

--
Ron White
Boat building web address is

posted to rec.boats.building
Nigel

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
ink.net...
Nigel wrote:
I have inspection hatches on the sides of my diesel tanks. Currently they
have a rubber (might not actually be rubber) gasket sealing them, but one
is seeping slightly. I'm pretty sure if I tighten the bolts any more they
will shear. I think I need a stikaflex type sealant, but I can't find
suitable for use with diesel fuel... any suggestions, available in the UK
preferably

SikaFlex 291 is approved for diesel, 292 is NOT.

Lew

Hi Lew
I email SikaFlex UK and got this reply
----------------------
Thankyou for your enquiry, unfortunately we do not have a product that is
permanently resistant to hydrocarbons .Sikaflex materials are only
resistant to " occasional spillages"

posted to rec.boats.building
Keith

Ron: Do you have the name of the aircraft sealer that you used?

Nigel wrote:

I have inspection hatches on the sides of my diesel tanks. Currently they
have a rubber (might not actually be rubber) gasket sealing them, but one
is seeping slightly. I'm pretty sure if I tighten the bolts any more they
will shear. I think I need a stikaflex type sealant, but I can't find
suitable for use with diesel fuel... any suggestions, available in the UK
preferably

SikaFlex 291 is approved for diesel, 292 is NOT.

Lew

Hi Lew
I email SikaFlex UK and got this reply
----------------------
Thankyou for your enquiry, unfortunately we do not have a product that is
permanently resistant to hydrocarbons .Sikaflex materials are only
resistant to " occasional spillages"

Something isn't right.

It was the SikaFlex tech service people here in the US that told me to
use 291 for the same application.

Lew
posted to rec.boats.building
Ron White

Unfortunately I don't have the name or any un-used product as the small 3 oz
unit required that it all be mixed. You can do a goggle search and look for
"aviation fuel tank sealant" you will find a lot but look at products like
Naftoseal MC-236-B or from a company called, aviation Products find their
listing of CS-3201 or CS 3204. Get the paste not the flowable liquid, paste
is indicated by suffix "B'. I am hardly conversant in aviation stuff, as I
understand it, a lot of aircraft have tanks that routinely require internal
inspection, so sealing them back up is done often. Hence, there are lots of
products for this. So your local airport, even if it is small ,will have or
will know some aircraft mechanics who will know all about this stuff and
likely have it on hand. When I spoke to a parts guy at our little aircraft
company, he knew exactly what I was talking about.
good luck

--
Ron White
my boatbuilding web site is:
www.concentric.net/~knotreel

posted to rec.boats.building
Ron White

Do a goggle on SikaFlex 291, the sika site lists this as "temporarily
resistant to fuels, mineral oils", ect,
Sounds like this is more of gp marine adheasive/sealant that would be
useful in some medium duty bonding and sealing and the 292 is more of a
heavy duty bonding type product for things like hull to deck joints.

--
Ron White
my boatbuilding web site is:
www.concentric.net/~knotreel

posted to rec.boats.building
Ron White

Maybe I forgot to mention that these are two part polysulfide compounds not
air cured.

--
Ron White
my boatbuilding web site is:
www.concentric.net/~knotreel

posted to rec.boats.building
Drew Dalgleish

The stuff you're looking for is called pro-seal check out aircraft
spruce part # 09-38560 The maintenance shop at your local airport can
likely sell you the little bit you'll need but check the expiry date
the stuff has a shelf life of only about 9 months. Also be careful to
get the mix ratio correct .

WWW.aircraftspruce.com