Default Turning a Trimaran's Floats into Water Ballast Tanks ?

What do you think about this idea ?

If we build a trimaran so that the floats are automatically
filled with water and swung towards the bottom of the main
hull when the boat is upside down then we can make the boat
self-righting in the event of a capsize.

sherwindu wrote:
Multihulls have two stable states, upright and upside down,
whereas most monohulls have only one stable state, upright.

Capt. JG

It's an old idea that people are already working on.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

k.net...

"Gary" wrote in message

What do you think about this idea ?

If we build a trimaran so that the floats are automatically
filled with water and swung towards the bottom of the main
hull when the boat is upside down then we can make the boat
self-righting in the event of a capsize.

Another way to solve the problem without filling the floats
with water is to swing them towards the mast when the boat
is upside down. This will lift up the main hull and cause it to
fall on one side. Then the floats can be swung back to their
extended positions to put the boat in its upright position.

I watched while a tri was righted recently after it flipped during the
Van-Isle 360. It was a Ferrier (about 31'). They had to collapse one ama
(foldable) inorder to roll it over back to upright. It was a difficult
job even near shore with lots of boats helping.

By the way, it had flipped end over end. The same boat had run from
Victoria to Hawaii and done many miles of offshore and inshore racing. The
attitude of the owner, and the other multihullers around was that they had
just pushed too hard. The boats are safe if sailed conservatively just
like any boat. The polynesians crossed ocean in multihulls when the Euros
were still trying to figure out how to go upwind.

I believe the accepted method of reversing a flipped tri is end to end, not
side to side.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Capt. JG" wrote:

I believe the accepted method of reversing a flipped tri is
end to end, not side to side.

How about if we make each of the 3 hulls rotatable with respect
to the other two ? Then we can rotate the main hull first and
then the left and right one at a time.

Please give me some links to the methods other people have been
working on.
Capt. JG

http://www.f-boat.com/safety/

When you're done reading, there's a link at the bottom of the page.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

wrote in message
ink.net...

"Capt. JG" wrote:

I believe the accepted method of reversing a flipped tri is
end to end, not side to side.

How about if we make each of the 3 hulls rotatable with respect
to the other two ? Then we can rotate the main hull first and
then the left and right one at a time.

Please give me some links to the methods other people have been
working on.

sherwindu

Gary wrote:

[...]

OK, but how many of them never returned to tell the story of their capsizing? It's
only in extreme conditions that I would worry about a multihull, or if I didn't think
I could shorten sail quick enough in a strong blow. With coastal cruising, you have the
option of ducking for cover, but crossing the ocean leaves you exposed to unexpected
changes of weather where you hope you can just ride it out.

"Capt. JG" wrote:
http://www.f-boat.com/safety/

When you're done reading, there's a link at the bottom of the page.

Thank you very much captain. I'm going to ask the Corsair people
if they're still working on this when I visit them next week.

But I probably won't buy one because today I went to look at
a couple of Beneteaus and found that for a little bit more money
I can get a boat with 3 staterooms that's more suitable for sailing
from San Diego to Lanta Island.
Gary

sherwindu wrote:

Gary wrote:

[...]

I would have no hesitation in sailing a multihull designed for offshore
sailing offshore. I would enjoy the change and the room.

Carribean Sail Don White General 16 November 18th 05 01:23 AM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 7 October 12th 05 10:25 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM