Gary

Default Turning a Trimaran's Floats into Water Ballast Tanks ?

sherwindu wrote:

Gary wrote:

What do you think about this idea ?

If we build a trimaran so that the floats are automatically
filled with water and swung towards the bottom of the main
hull when the boat is upside down then we can make the boat
self-righting in the event of a capsize.

Another way to solve the problem without filling the floats
with water is to swing them towards the mast when the boat
is upside down. This will lift up the main hull and cause it to
fall on one side. Then the floats can be swung back to their
extended positions to put the boat in its upright position.

I watched while a tri was righted recently after it flipped during the
Van-Isle 360. It was a Ferrier (about 31'). They had to collapse one
ama (foldable) inorder to roll it over back to upright. It was a
difficult job even near shore with lots of boats helping.

By the way, it had flipped end over end. The same boat had run from
Victoria to Hawaii and done many miles of offshore and inshore racing.
The attitude of the owner, and the other multihullers around was that
they had just pushed too hard. The boats are safe if sailed
conservatively just like any boat. The polynesians crossed ocean in
multihulls when the Euros were still trying to figure out how to go upwind.

OK, but how many of them never returned to tell the story of their capsizing? It's
only in extreme conditions that I would worry about a multihull, or if I didn't think
I could shorten sail quick enough in a strong blow. With coastal cruising, you have the
option of ducking for cover, but crossing the ocean leaves you exposed to unexpected
changes of weather where you hope you can just ride it out.

I would have no hesitation in sailing a multihull designed for offshore
sailing offshore. I would enjoy the change and the room.