Jens_Erik

Default How to determine what type of paint is used on a boat

I just bought a used fiberglass boat, a 23 foot Bayliner Trophy, but I
cannot determine what type of paint is applied on the bottom. It looks
like it is ablative paint. But how do I determine what type of paint it
is?
Or should I just scrape off the paint, sand it and then apply a hole
new buttom paint?
I am asking you guys for help as I cannot get hold of the previous
owner and just ask him.
Thanks
Jens-Erik
Nuuk, Greenland.

JimH

"Jens_Erik" wrote in message
ups.com...
I just bought a used fiberglass boat, a 23 foot Bayliner Trophy, but I
cannot determine what type of paint is applied on the bottom. It looks
like it is ablative paint. But how do I determine what type of paint it
is?
Or should I just scrape off the paint, sand it and then apply a hole
new buttom paint?
I am asking you guys for help as I cannot get hold of the previous
owner and just ask him.
Thanks
Jens-Erik
Nuuk, Greenland.

Seeing that you cannot get hold of the previous owner I would choose a
bottom paint that is advertised to be able to painted over any existing
bottom paint.

Interlux has a number of them. http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/

Make sure you properly prepare the surface per manufacturers instructions
and you should be fine.

taking paint off a fiberglass boat granite stone Boat Building 1 March 20th 06 12:02 AM
Hey Doug check this out Joe ASA 15 January 13th 06 11:10 PM
Ideal size boat [email protected] General 130 January 5th 06 03:03 AM
Need a Plan to Protect Boat from UV and Mildew All Year Round - 2 [email protected] General 2 December 15th 05 06:25 AM
Old Tyme Boat Brochure Photos, Amusing attire [email protected] General 81 October 13th 05 05:48 PM