posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Default Hey Doug check this out

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Resto...QQcmdZViewItem

I'm tempted to Buy it now.

If this is a double post, sorry got an error message!

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Joe wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Resto...QQcmdZViewItem

I'm tempted to Buy it now.

If this is a double post, sorry got an error message!

They're pretty boats. IIC Kettenburg was a West Coast
designer with his own shop. I'm not tempted by a wooden boat
at this point, having plenty of other work to do.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

Joe wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Resto...QQcmdZViewItem

I'm tempted to Buy it now.

That's a gorgeous boat, but it is wooden. Do you have any experience with
wooden boats? The general rule with older wood boats is that routine and
corrective maintenance will equal the purchase price every three or four
years, if done by a competent yard. Based on the relatively low price of
that boat, I'd say that estimate of maintenance is low.

That said, there's nothing quite like sailing a wooden boat. The sonorous
creaks and groans from the hull/deck/rig are worth the price of admission
alone.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

The ad say he just put 60K into fixin her up. If she is in the shape
shown, then Id just sail her back, around cape horn, then sell her for
a profit. The trip alone would be a great value.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Joe wrote:
The ad say he just put 60K into fixin her up. If she is in the shape
shown, then Id just sail her back, around cape horn, then sell her for
a profit. The trip alone would be a great value.

Why do you think you could sell it for more than it will
fetch on Ebay? The boat market is pretty slack these days.

The trip around Cape Horn would definitely be a great one.
I'd like to stop at South Georgia myself, plus see some of
the places John Cairns has posted pics of.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Because I can write a better e-bay ad that will bring more viewers, and
Texans have more fun money then the Cally folks, they have to spend all
they have on houses and such.

back in 82 I delivered a 75 ft crewboat from Longbeach to Morgan City
LA. Went thru the canal. Thats was a fun trip, but nothing compared to
going around.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
John Cairns

"Maxprop" wrote in message
ink.net...

Joe wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Resto...QQcmdZViewItem

I'm tempted to Buy it now.

That's a gorgeous boat, but it is wooden. Do you have any experience with
wooden boats? The general rule with older wood boats is that routine and
corrective maintenance will equal the purchase price every three or four
years, if done by a competent yard. Based on the relatively low price of
that boat, I'd say that estimate of maintenance is low.

That said, there's nothing quite like sailing a wooden boat. The sonorous
creaks and groans from the hull/deck/rig are worth the price of admission
alone.

Max

Don't know how he came about the conclusion, but I remember reading an
article a while back about the owner of a wooden boat, he claimed that it
was no more work maintenance-wise, than fiberglass. I still find this
difficult to believe.

John Cairns

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
The ad say he just put 60K into fixin her up.

Pretty well supports my point.

If she is in the shape
shown, then Id just sail her back, around cape horn, then sell her for
a profit. The trip alone would be a great value.

Wooden boats vary in price from dirt cheap to horrendously expensive. Very
often the price *does* reflect the condition, or at least the level and
consistency of ongoing maintenance. My guess is that a boat that seems to
be priced low is likely not in the condition you might anticipate. For that
matter, $60K invested in a wooden boat may only scratch the surface of the
repair/upgrade costs. This boat may or may not be in bristol condition. A
survey by a competent wooden boat surveyor is an absolute must.

Roughly ten years ago we traveled to Maine to inspect a wooden boat--an Aga
Nielsen design built by Paul Luke, 38'--that seemed priced too low for the
purported condition. It seemed too good a buy to pass up, and we loved the
design. In the flesh the boat appeared bristol, inside and out. The
auxiliary was almost new--100 hours on a 36hp Yanmar--and the electronics
were all recent and working well. She had a lot of other upgrades,
including a new LP stove/oven, new plumbing throughout, and a nice Dickson
solid fuel cabin heater. Sadly the survey showed a radically different
pictu the deadwood was rotted and needed replacement. The lead ballast
had shifted, thanks to some keel rot, and needed to be lifted and
refastened. Numerous planks, under gleaming Awlgrip, were soft and needed
replacement. Two ribs were cracked, and about half the floors were cracked
or rotting. The deck and house had new Dynel covering, but there were still
some leaks around the cover boards. The sampson posts appeared nicely
varnished on deck, but were rotting below. And there were other problems.
The estimated cost of repairs was 5 times the price of the boat.

Proceed with caution.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

"John Cairns" wrote in message

Don't know how he came about the conclusion, but I remember reading an
article a while back about the owner of a wooden boat, he claimed that it
was no more work maintenance-wise, than fiberglass. I still find this
difficult to believe.

Wooden boat fanatics are just that: fanatics. They love wood & boats, and
when combined . . .

That said, there is no way in hell that a boat with a wood hull and/or deck
will require no more maintenance than a similar glass boat. He probably had
an older wooden boat he wanted to sell. :-)

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

"John Cairns" wrote
Don't know how he came about the conclusion, but I remember reading an
article a while back about the owner of a wooden boat, he claimed that it
was no more work maintenance-wise, than fiberglass. I still find this
difficult to believe.

Depends on what's included in the maintenance list, and what
kind of shape the fiberglass boat is maintained in.

Maxprop wrote:
Wooden boat fanatics are just that: fanatics. They love wood & boats, and
when combined . . .

For many, it does have aspects of a cult.

That said, there is no way in hell that a boat with a wood hull and/or deck
will require no more maintenance than a similar glass boat. He probably had
an older wooden boat he wanted to sell. :-)

If you're talking about a wooden boat that is sound, and
maintained efficiently in decent working shape, and don't
include long-term things like ripping the seams &
refastening, then it is no more work than to maintain a
fiberglass boat of similar size & style in high-gloss
yachtie condition.

I generally say that maintaining a wooden boat is 10% more
work than fiberglass, and having owned several of each, feel
confident this can backed with figures. The difference is
that the wooden boat will have certain labor & skill
intensive things done to it every ten years or so, by which
time you will probably have sold it to somebody else.

The biggest difference between fiberglass and wood is the
consequence of neglect. If you neglect a fiberglass boat,
you have a mess to clean up. If you neglect a wooden boat,
you have mulch.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Hey Doug...check this one out! Joe ASA 0 January 8th 06 09:53 PM
Help for Doug Capt. Rob ASA 6 January 5th 06 07:43 PM
Merry Christman, Doug! Capt. Rob ASA 0 December 23rd 05 12:57 PM
Add it up, Doug! Capt. Rob ASA 84 November 15th 05 10:39 AM
Doug is an Idiot Capt. Rob ASA 1 October 26th 05 10:44 PM