posted to rec.boats.building
granite stone

Default taking paint off a fiberglass boat

I am removing the paint off my fiberglass boat. My question is, can
you accidently take off the polyester resin or fiberglass while taking
off the paint? Should I just take off half the paint?

jon
toronto

posted to rec.boats.building

Answering your question without looking at your boat is like shooting at
point blank

The following observations are for general use and based on a structurally
sound fiberglass boat.

If the paint over the original gelcoat is peeling off you have to remove it
completely. The reason why the paint is peeling off is because the gelcoat
still had some mould wax, was not sanded properly or there is de-lamination
and maybe waterlog fiberglass. That means that you have to repair the
damaged area. Then the original gelcoat underneath has to be sanded enough
to provide a good surface adhesion for the new primer and paint. During the
sanding process removing some of the old polyester resin is not a problem if
done uniformly. Removing some of the fiberglass mat is not recommended.
Should you indivertibly do so you will have to use some premium marine
filler. If you have fiberglass de-lamination. you have to rebuild the
damaged section with epoxy. If you have water that has infiltrated the
fiberglass you have to drain it and assess the situation.

oups.com...