K. Smith

Default `72 Evinrude V4 Problem

Chehalis Jeff wrote:
But he said all cylinder compression values were very close. If they
aren't leaking down, then how is that water getting in?

This is something that I have and are still considering as a possible
problem. I called a local OMC repair shop and that's what they
suggested - that when the engine gets warm enough and with enough
"suction" on the down stroke it could draw in just enough water (from a
'partially blown head gasket') to affect how it runs under load but not
enough to effect it otherwise. It's a possibility, however I would
think that there should be a way to tell if that's happening without
removing the head(s) and replacing the head gaskets. On the other hand,
that's not really a big, expensive or difficult job so maybe it's
worthwhile doing as a precaution.

JM

The suggestions here is check everything else & try a tune, then take
the heads off.

At that age there is probably a buildup of salt deposits in the system.
along with the overheat adding even more & a good cleanup will not do
any harm.

Replacing the cyl head gaskets is not a huge job, it's a 2 stroke & the
heads are not much more than lids on the block.

Hope it goes OK

Evinrude 6 Bob Scott General 9 June 2nd 06 02:59 AM
1972 Evinrude 85HP missing under load Chehalis Jeff General 0 April 23rd 06 05:57 AM
Mooron's problem explained Capt. Rob ASA 0 February 6th 06 12:32 PM
Johnson & Evinrude V6 engines - Gasket Set GMails Boat Building 0 December 27th 05 01:07 PM
folding Evinrude Buddy Duncan Boat Building 2 October 11th 05 04:23 PM