Doug Kanter

Default OT- Power outage in NY. Coincidence?

"Jim" wrote in message

But the libs would like you to believe otherwise as their only MO is to

lay as much
blame on GWB for anything and everything that goes wrong.

WTF??? Who has blamed Nookular Boy for the blackout? I blame the idiot for
repeating the rumor about a lightning strike at Niagara Falls, but that was
merely entertainment.

Joe

WTF??? Who has blamed Nookular Boy for the blackout? I blame the idiot for
repeating the rumor about a lightning strike at Niagara Falls, but that

was
merely entertainment.

He only repeated what the idiot Prime Minister of Canada said.
Bush was stupid to take him at his word.

BTW, he said there are "reports that a lightning strike MAY have caused it"

Gould 0738

Of course Al Qaida would love to say they caused the blackout. They are
terrorists and
need to have Americans in constant fear of them.

Regardless of whatever press Al Qaida puts out only a fool would believe they
were
responsible for the blackout.

Clear minded folks know the outage was due to mechanical failures and lack of
adequate
response by the engineers at several utility sites, most significantly sites
in Ohio
managed by First Energy.

But the libs would like you to believe otherwise as their only MO is to lay
as much
blame on GWB for anything and everything that goes wrong. They have a group
of
extremely weak candidates who bring nothing to the table this coming
election. Their
only chance of winning is to take down GWB regardless of the cost.

Pathetic.

Well, since this is your 4th of 5th post since we agreed not to harrass one
another I can assume that's off?

Have you considered that nobody has more to gain from a public perception that
terrorists caused the blackout than GWB and his administration? Why would
"libs" spread this rumor? Most of the truly objectionable policies put forward
by Bush and his group have been advanced under the excuse of "fighting
terrorism." The more terrorism the public perceives, the easier it will be to
pass Patriot Acts III, IV, V, VI, and so forth.

No liberal that I know is spreading the rumor that terrorists caused the
outage.
My own statement was the arrest of two Pakistani's on the do-not-fly list
trying to pay cash for one-way tickets to NYC the day before was most likely a
coincidence.

I have never heard anybody of any political bent blame GWB for the blackout.
YMMV

Given the aging electrical infrastructure and the high AC loads in the summer,
it's a wonder we haven't had more blackouts in the past.
Bill Cole

Chuck,

Since many people do get po'ed when they are proven wrong, I can understand
why you might think I am. I really am not. The point I was trying to make,
(and it appears that I was not successful in making any point) is that
Usenet chit chat before any facts are known, makes for great Usenet
discussion, and for even better arguments, but should never be viewed as
anything else but idle bs.

As long as people understand that your post about the terrorist, was not
meant to do anything but encourage idle chit chat and an occasionally
argument you succeeded. I have a real problem when news announcers and talk
radio try to solve a problem before any facts have been compiled. It
serves no purpose except to grab and hold listeners. I viewed your posts in
the same light as I view Rush L. and others who try to stir emotions and
grab viewers.

On a serious note, though you do seem to see black helicopters behind each
"Bush".

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
Chuck, it was either you or Noah who once told me that I was talking to a
dial tone, perhaps as I was trying to get Dave Hall to wake up. You may

be
talking to a dial tone now.

Naw, Cole is just po'd because a third party proved he was full of horse

pucky
(when he declared that people who didn't realize the Secret Service was
providing security for presidential candidates at this stage in the

process
were "stupid.")
There are some people in the world who are so personally insecure they

think
they are subject to being shot, drawn, and quartered for ever being wrong.
Let's hope
Wm Cole isn't in that unfortunate category.
Success is being right more than 50% of the time, not 100. :-)

Doug Kanter

"Joe" wrote in message

WTF??? Who has blamed Nookular Boy for the blackout? I blame the idiot

for
repeating the rumor about a lightning strike at Niagara Falls, but that

was
merely entertainment.

He only repeated what the idiot Prime Minister of Canada said.
Bush was stupid to take him at his word.

BTW, he said there are "reports that a lightning strike MAY have caused

it"

If he doesn't learn to connect someone's brain to his mouth, he's going to
get us into a war someday.

Bill Cole

thanks for the copy of news article. I don't put much credence in terrorist
making claims for causing a power outage. I might be wrong, but the purpose
of a terrorist is to "terrorize" their enemy. If they can make us believe
they caused the power outage, wither they did or not, they still have
effectively "terrorized" us.

Unless I read some proof from a legitimate news source that the power outage
was the result of sabotage, I am going to believe the power company and our
government explanation. If their is proof that the outage is the result of
sabotage, I don't believe the power company or the government can keep it
secret. Someone will "leak" the info to a newsreporter.

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
Gould,
I did not read that the two terrorist who were arrested in Seattle

claimed
to have caused the blackout. Coincidence? Probably, but maybe not.

And you would not have, either. The term "terrorists" can refer to more

than
just two people arrested in Seattle. By the way, I have a well founded

theory
that it wasn't the Secret Service, either.

By the remote chance that you're not simply smart assing off and really

did
miss the terrorists' claim to have caused the blackout, here is the

substance:

*******************

Al Qaida claims responsibility for blackout

SPECIAL TO WORLD TRIBUNE.COM
Monday, August 18, 2003
Al Qaida's Abu Hafs Brigades has claimed responsibility for the blackout

last
week in the Northeast and Midwest United States. A communiqué by the Abu

Hafs
Brigades made reference to Operation Quick Lightning in the Land of the

Tyrant
of this Generation."

It was published as "the third communiqué by the "Brigades."

In the first, they accepted responsibility for the downing of an airplane

in
Kenya. The second accepted responsibility for the Jakarta bombing of the
Marriott hotel on August 5, 2003.

The new communiqué says that in compliance with the orders of Osama bin

Laden
to strike at the American economy, the Brigades struck two important
electricity supply targets on the East coast, according to the Middle East
Media Research Institute. The Brigades say that they cannot reveal how

they did
it, because they will probably have to use the same method again soon. The
communiqué also claimed that the operation was meant as a present for the
Iraqi people.

------

Health insurance for the self-employed: Special offer

------
The following are excerpts from a report by the London-based Arabic daily
Al-Hayat about the communiqué: [1]

The Blackout was 'a Realization of Bin Laden's promise to offer the Iraqi
people a present'
"A communiqué attributed to Al Qaeda claimed responsibility for the power
blackout that happened in the U.S. last Thursday, saying that the brigades

of
Abu Fahes Al Masri had hit two main power plants supplying the East of the
U.S., as well as major industrial cities in the U.S. and Canada, 'its ally

in
the war against Islam (New York and Toronto) and their neighbors.'
"The communiqué assured that the operation 'was carried out on the orders

of
Osama bin Laden to hit the pillars of the U.S. economy,' as 'a realization

of
bin Laden's promise to offer the Iraqi people a present.'

'The Americans lived a black day they will never forget'
"The statement, which Al-Hayat obtained from the website of the

International
Islamic Media Center, didn't specify the way the alleged sabotage was

carried
out. The communiqué read: 'let the criminal Bush and his gang know that

the
punishment is the result of the action, the soldiers of God cut the power

on
these cities, they darkened the lives of the Americans as these criminals
blackened the lives of the Muslim people in Iraq, Afghanistan and

Palestine.
The Americans lived a black day they will never forget. They lived a day

of
terror and fear. a state of chaos and confusion where looting and

pillaging
rampaged the cities, just like the capital of the caliphate Baghdad, and
Afghanistan and Palestine were. Let the American people take a sip from

the
same glass.'

'The U.S. will not live in peace until our conditions are met'
"It added: 'we heard amazing statements made by the American and Canadian
enemies which have nuclear physics universities and space agencies, that
lightning hit and destroyed the two plants. And we are supposed to believe

this
nonsense. If the blackout occurred in one or two cities, their lie would

have
been credible. But the fact is that the blackout hit the entire East and

part
of Canada.'
"The communiqué continued: 'one of the benefits of this strike is that the
U.S. will not live in peace until our conditions are met, such as

releasing all
the detainees including Sheikh Omar Abdulrahman, and getting out of the

land of
the Muslims, including Jerusalem and Kashmir.'

"The authors of the communiqué said that the strikes aimed at 'hitting the
major pillar of the U.S. economy (the Stock Exchange). [and] the UN, which

is
opposed to Islam, and is based in New York. It is a message to all the
investors that the U.S. is no longer a safe country for their money,

knowing
that the U.S. economy greatly relies on the trust of the investor.'

'The gift of Sheikh Osama Bin Laden is on its way to the White House'
"The communiqué mentioned that some economists said the blackout in the

U.S.
and Canada would cost the U.S. Treasury no less than ten billion U.S.

dollars
and in order to 'break the hearts of U.S. officials, just know that the

cost
paid by the Moujahideen to sabotage the power plants was a mere seven

thousand
dollars. Die of sorrow!'
"The communiqué ended with: 'we tell the Muslims that this is not the

awaited
strike, but it is called the war of skirmishes (to drain the enemy), and

that
the American snakes are enormous and need to be consumed and weakened to

be
destroyed. We tell the people of Afghanistan and Kashmir that the gift of
Sheikh Osama bin Laden is on its way to the White House; then the gift of

Al
Aqsa, and do we know what is the gift of Al Aqsa, where and when? The

answer is
what you are seeing!'

[1] Published in English on Dar Al-Hayat website, August 18, 2003,
http://english.daralhayat.com/arab_n...0818-14bdd659-
c0a8-01ed-0079-6e1c903b7552/story.html

Bill Cole

Chuck,
Now are you sounding like an intelligent individual analyzing the facts and
presenting a sound hypothesis. Instead of someone presenting an outrageous
theory, just to encourage idle chit chat. You don't want anyone to think
you are just another Rush L. selling his soul for listeners.

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
[...]

Doug Kanter

Perhaps you missed the excellent Frontline (PBS) show about 8 months ago, in
which they discussed how vulnerable our infrastructure is to computer
attacks. For viewers who just don't get it, they emphasized that there are
quite a few utilities whose products (water, electricity, gas) can no longer
be controlled quickly by manually turning valves or throwing switches. They
interviewed people whose job it was to purposely attack computer systems.
They succeeded more often than they would've liked.

So, don't assume anything about the cause of ANY infrastructure failure
until all the facts are in.

"Bill Cole" wrote in message
thanks for the copy of news article. I don't put much credence in

terrorist
making claims for causing a power outage. I might be wrong, but the

purpose
of a terrorist is to "terrorize" their enemy. If they can make us believe
they caused the power outage, wither they did or not, they still have
effectively "terrorized" us.

Unless I read some proof from a legitimate news source that the power

outage
was the result of sabotage, I am going to believe the power company and

our
government explanation. If their is proof that the outage is the result

of
sabotage, I don't believe the power company or the government can keep it
secret. Someone will "leak" the info to a newsreporter.

Dave Hall

Bill Cole wrote:

thanks for the copy of news article. I don't put much credence in terrorist
making claims for causing a power outage. I might be wrong, but the purpose
of a terrorist is to "terrorize" their enemy. If they can make us believe
they caused the power outage, wither they did or not, they still have
effectively "terrorized" us.

Exactly! It wouldn't be the first time that a terrorist organization
took advantage of a convenient catastophy to advance their cause. To
date there is no evidence to suggest that this was anything other than a
breakdown in infrastructure, and the failure of certain safeguards to
isolate the problem areas. The rest played out like a stack of dominos.
I'm waiting for the next hurricane or earthquake to hit, and have Al
Qaeda claim responsibility.....

Unless I read some proof from a legitimate news source that the power outage
was the result of sabotage, I am going to believe the power company and our
government explanation. If their is proof that the outage is the result of
sabotage, I don't believe the power company or the government can keep it
secret. Someone will "leak" the info to a newsreporter.

Haven't you heard? It's all GWB's fault. The speculators... I mean, news
people said so.....

Dave

JohnH

On 26 Aug 2003 16:19:04 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

[...]

Chuck - If GWB and his administration can gain so much from the public
perception you speak of, and if, as you and many others have continuously
accused, GWB and his administration are such horrendous liars, then WHY did
he/they not make the claims you speak of?

If the USA can steal all the Iraqi oil from under the watchful eyes of the whole
entire world, then blaming the electrical outage on terrorist activity should be
a snap.

Respectfully,

John
On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD

New owner - Question about AC power Paul General 10 August 9th 03 04:59 AM
What is the most reliable power set up for a powerboat? Nekto Poli General 1 July 31st 03 04:13 PM
Power Trim Gazunni General 2 July 31st 03 02:42 AM
Power Trim Gazunni General 0 July 30th 03 01:14 AM
94' OMC 115 loses power after first 5 minutes Jacob Morgan General 0 July 13th 03 04:15 PM