JimH

Default More on Deep Cycle Batteries

I am purchasing a new Group 27 deep cycle battery and will be checking out
the place Bassy suggested. Our boat does not have a high electrical demand
(depth finder, marine radio, stereo) when not running.

What are some of the specs I should be looking for to show it is a decent
battery?

TIA!

Don White

JimH wrote:
I am purchasing a new Group 27 deep cycle battery and will be checking out
the place Bassy suggested. Our boat does not have a high electrical demand
(depth finder, marine radio, stereo) when not running.

What are some of the specs I should be looking for to show it is a decent
battery?

TIA!

I'm interested too!
My demands are even less, as I don't have electric start to worry about.
I'd need navigation/cabin lights, depth sounder & later, a hard wired
VHF. (will use handheld for this year) I also want to be able to
run/re-charge my GPS and handheld VHF from a cigar type lighter outlet.

JimH

"JIMinFL" wrote in message
nk.net...
One good measure of quality is weight. The heavier the better.
Jim

Are the weights of batteries normally included in the specs?

I would guess that by more weight you are referring to heavier lead
plates....correct? How does that translate into more cranking amps or
ability to hold a charge and deliver power over an extended period?

Thanks!

JIMinFL

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message

"JIMinFL" wrote in message
nk.net...
One good measure of quality is weight. The heavier the better.
Jim

Are the weights of batteries normally included in the specs?

I don't know. You could pick up a few. The weight differences are really
noticible.

I would guess that by more weight you are referring to heavier lead
plates....correct? How does that translate into more cranking amps or
ability to hold a charge and deliver power over an extended period?

Thanks!

If you want cranking amps you want more plates. Deep cycle batteries have
fewer/thicker plates. I'm not really sure how ampere hours come about. I
would guess that physical size matters in that case.

Pull up one of the battery maker web sites if you want an education on
batteries. I would recommend "Surrette Battery Company".
Jim

JimH

"JIMinFL" wrote in message
nk.net...

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message

"JIMinFL" wrote in message
nk.net...
One good measure of quality is weight. The heavier the better.
Jim

Are the weights of batteries normally included in the specs?

I don't know. You could pick up a few. The weight differences are really
noticible.

I don't plan on carrying a scale with me when I look for batteries. ;-)

I am sure there have to be some significant specs I can compare such as
cranking amps and ................

Does anyone else out there know?

JIMinFL

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message

"JIMinFL" wrote in message
nk.net...

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message

"JIMinFL" wrote in message
nk.net...
One good measure of quality is weight. The heavier the better.
Jim

Are the weights of batteries normally included in the specs?

I don't know. You could pick up a few. The weight differences are really
noticible.

I don't plan on carrying a scale with me when I look for batteries. ;-)

I am sure there have to be some significant specs I can compare such as
cranking amps and ................

Does anyone else out there know?

These people sure do. http://www.rollsbattery.com/
Happy boating,
Jim

JimH

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 21:33:21 -0400, " JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT
comREMOVETHIS wrote:

"JIMinFL" wrote in message
link.net...

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message

"JIMinFL" wrote in message
nk.net...
One good measure of quality is weight. The heavier the better.
Jim

Are the weights of batteries normally included in the specs?

I don't know. You could pick up a few. The weight differences are really
noticible.

I don't plan on carrying a scale with me when I look for batteries. ;-)

I am sure there have to be some significant specs I can compare such as
cranking amps and ................

Does anyone else out there know?

Yes - you can find out the weight of the battery on the manufacture's
web site or the distributors web site.

Ok. So how exactly does weight equate to quality? The thicker the
plates......the better the better the (deep cycle) battery?

JohnH

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 22:36:16 -0400, " JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT
comREMOVETHIS wrote:

.. .
On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 21:33:21 -0400, " JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT
comREMOVETHIS wrote:

"JIMinFL" wrote in message
hlink.net...

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message

"JIMinFL" wrote in message
nk.net...
One good measure of quality is weight. The heavier the better.
Jim

Are the weights of batteries normally included in the specs?

I don't know. You could pick up a few. The weight differences are really
noticible.

I don't plan on carrying a scale with me when I look for batteries. ;-)

I am sure there have to be some significant specs I can compare such as
cranking amps and ................

Does anyone else out there know?

Yes - you can find out the weight of the battery on the manufacture's
web site or the distributors web site.

Ok. So how exactly does weight equate to quality? The thicker the
plates......the better the better the (deep cycle) battery?

Here, this should solve your problems:

http://www.rollsbattery.com/
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
Tamaroak

JimH wrote:
I am purchasing a new Group 27 deep cycle battery and will be checking out
the place Bassy suggested. Our boat does not have a high electrical demand
(depth finder, marine radio, stereo) when not running.

What are some of the specs I should be looking for to show it is a decent
battery?

TIA!

Check out a Group 31. Often they will fit in the same box and give you
more amphours for the same or a little more money. I have found good
batteries and deal at Sam's Club/Walmart.

Capt. Jeff