Doug Kanter

Default What education?

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 16:18:14 GMT, Gene Kearns
wrote:

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 14:09:33 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing
wrote:

http://www.break.com/movies/suffrage.html

I couldn't believe it.

I know that this is probably preaching to the choir... since I know
your wife is a teacher, but education is now defined as the ability to
pass a standardized test. It has nothing to do with ability to reason
or accrued knowledge.

A recent newspaper article found that, locally, of 350 applicants,
only 23 of 350 applicants with a high school diploma had adequate
skills in reading, writing, and math to begin entry level college
classes.... but having a high school diploma, we know they can pass
that test! Right?

I am feeling particularly mean today and really don't want to get
started on that one. :)

Last night, my son said his physics teacher mentioned that the speed of
light had been measured using mirrors on mountaintops, or some such thing. I
vaguely recalled reading the details many years ago, so I asked him about
the method. He said he and 2 other kids asked the teacher the same question.
The teacher said it wasn't important at the moment.

Bitch slap time.

JohnH

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 17:55:04 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Did you bother to call the teacher to find out why? Sounds like you're
rushing to judgement here.

Parent slap time!

--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
Doug Kanter

"JohnH" wrote in message
On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 17:55:04 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

. ..

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the tip, John. I left a message at lunch time.

JohnH

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 19:57:47 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Also, keep in mind that teachers are very time constrained. They must cover
a given amount of material to satisfy the teaching objectives given them.
If there were enough time to go off on any and all tangents, I'd spend a
lot of time talking about motorcycles. The kids would love it.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
Doug Kanter

"JohnH" wrote in message
On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 19:57:47 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

wrote:

"JohnH" wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 17:55:04 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

m...

wrote:

[...]

Actually, that was his reason, although I don't really buy it. You've heard
the term "teaching to the test", I'm sure. This teacher's running out of
time. Too bad, because the kids asked a good question which was directly
related to what was being taught. Fortunately, my son is becoming obsessed
with physics. He found, and dusted off my copy of "The Dancing Wu Li
Masters". He promised to explain the mirror experiment to me by dinnertime
tomorrow.

CalifBill

"JohnH" wrote in message
On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 19:57:47 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

wrote:

. ..

wrote:

[...]

He could have mentioned a reason and ask them to remind him later to explain
it. Teacher slap time.

JohnH

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 21:59:27 GMT, Gene Kearns
wrote:

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 17:27:33 -0400, JohnH penned the following well
considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

Also, keep in mind that teachers are very time constrained. They must cover
a given amount of material to satisfy the teaching objectives given them.

Answer: Competency Based Education

Take as long as you want.... might have to add parking in elementary
schools for those 16 year olds still in 3rd grade, but we'll have to
make some sacrifices....

Sounds good, but impractical. It reminds me of Mia. Mia was in 8th grade
for three years. I had her the last of those three years. She did no work,
and failed. In fact, at the end of the year she was failing math, science,
and English. Her attitude in the classroom was definitely not conducive to
a learning environment. She didn't give a crap and made it obvious. We
wanted her out of the eighth grade, but the rules said she could only take
two courses in summer school.

We, the teachers, caved. We decided it was in the best interests of our
other students to get Mia the hell out of eighth grade. So, we agreed to
let her pass science, forcing her to take math and English in summer
school.

At some point, the education of the *other* kids has to take priority. I
like the German system. At the end of eighth grade, track them to a
vocational school if they can't or won't handle academics.

--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
JohnH

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 02:04:37 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

"JohnH" wrote in message
On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 17:55:04 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

om...

wrote:

[...]

Sounds like the teacher is doing a great job. She provided enough info to
get your kid interested enough to look it up himself.

Yes, she's running out of time. Final exams are coming, and maybe the
SAT's, or state Standards of Learning tests. It would not be fair to the
kids to make them responsible for material that wasn't covered in the
classroom because the teacher went off on too many tangents.

While working for the US Coast and Geodetic Survey in the Bahama Islands,
we used a 'geodimeter' to measure distances between surveying points in the
Atlantic Missile Range. Have your son do some quick research on that
instrument. The one we used, in the mid-60's was accurate to within 3cm
over a distance of some 26 miles.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
JohnH

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 06:29:53 GMT, "CalifBill"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

There are all kinds of 'could haves'. It's interesting to see the one's
that automatically put the teacher at fault.

It's important to pass the attitude that 'all teachers are bad' on to
children, especially if you've not walked a block in their shoes.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
Calif Bill

"JohnH" wrote in message
On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 06:29:53 GMT, "CalifBill"
wrote:

"JohnH" wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 19:57:47 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

wrote:

"JohnH" wrote in message
m...
On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 17:55:04 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

news:kk9d329v39ll87cije520289k1tr6p7d56@4ax. com...

wrote:

[...]

A lot of teachers can not teach. My Step father was one of those. Phi Beta
Kappa graduate, junior college prof, and was worthless as a teacher. I used
to teach digital signal processing and DSP use for Texas Instruments. They
put a lot of money and time in to making me a certified (TI certified)
instructor. OF course our students were motivated and they asked questions.
Part of being a good teacher is handling the question when the time is not
appropriate.

What education? Doug Kanter General 30 April 11th 06 10:57 PM
What education? Bryan General 1 April 9th 06 05:24 PM
What education? [email protected] General 7 April 8th 06 07:13 AM
What education? Black Dog General 1 April 7th 06 07:39 PM
What education? JohnH General 3 April 7th 06 05:56 PM