posted to rec.boats,rec.outdoors.fishing,alt.fishing
FishWisher

Default How many DFG enforcement agents in your state?

I have just learned that there are 189 DFG Game Wardens in the entire
state of California. My initial response is that this is an absurdly
low number. Many of us recreational fishermen and even many in DFG
itself would like to see the state employ a lot more. Our state has
about 36,000,000 people; 2,000,000 purchase a sport fishing license
each year.

For comparison, we'd love to know what the numbers are in your state.
Please include a link for confirmation if possible.

Many of us believe that poaching is a huge problem here. How 'bout your
state?

Dale

FishWisher

What would legal poaching be?

Doug Kanter

On 19 Mar 2006 13:36:25 -0800, "FishWisher"
wrote:

What would legal poaching be?

By catch and handing the unused portion of the recreational quota to
the commercial fleet.

There is a big industry in by catch along the East Coast and nobody
really cares about it.

"big industry in by catch" ?????

Tom, could you please rephrase that?

FishWisher

Have done some more research today:

====================
From http://dnr.wi.gov/org/caer/ce/news/o...80609.htm#art4

According to the most recent figures released by the U.S. Fish &
Wildlife Service, Wisconsin has one warden per 10,469 warden hunters
and anglers, compared to the national average of one warden per 5,700
hunters and anglers. Wisconsin's ratio improved from the previous
year, but so did other states' ratios.
============

It's pretty slim pickins' to find ratio info. But according to the
above, the national average is 1 warden per 5700 hunters and anglers.

I have researched California hunting licenses for 2005: 300,000
Also California rec fishing licenses of all kinds approx: 2,000,000

So, if we do have 189 wardens (A DFG employee stated that) we have a
ratio of 1 warden for each 12,170 hunters and anglers.

Bottom line: California appears to have less than half the number of
wardens that other states employ on average based on wardens per
sportman. If these numbers are true, the statement that California
refuses to enforce its fishing regulations rings very true indeed.

Why do the legislators in the largest state of the union get away with
being so unconcerned about the enforcement of our wildlife,
conservation and environmental laws?

But hey, the stars shine brightly in LaLa Land!

Whatever, dude!

Dale

FREDO

204 for Indiana
On 19 Mar 2006 07:25:46 -0800, "FishWisher"
wrote:

I have just learned that there are 189 DFG Game Wardens in the entire
state of California. My initial response is that this is an absurdly
low number. Many of us recreational fishermen and even many in DFG
itself would like to see the state employ a lot more. Our state has
about 36,000,000 people; 2,000,000 purchase a sport fishing license
each year.

3,405,000 Democrats - 565 Republicans.

50 members of the State Environmental Conservation Police, 29 are
slated to retire between 2006 - 2009 leaving 24 for the foreseeable
future. There are no plans to replace the retiring officers.

http://dep.state.ct.us/rec/law_enf/2004annualreport.pdf

Many of us believe that poaching is a huge problem here. How 'bout your
state?

Legal or illegal?

If it's illegal, it a very real problem and one that is not addressed
by any of the fisheries councils - both sweet or salt water fisheries.

posted to rec.boats,rec.outdoors.fishing,alt.fishing
James R. Freeman

Kentucky 130 DFW law enforcement officers for 120 countys.
http://www.kdfwr.state.ky.us/gllefie...5&NavPath=C439

"FishWisher" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have just learned that there are 189 DFG Game Wardens in the entire
state of California. My initial response is that this is an absurdly
low number. Many of us recreational fishermen and even many in DFG
itself would like to see the state employ a lot more. Our state has
about 36,000,000 people; 2,000,000 purchase a sport fishing license
each year.

For comparison, we'd love to know what the numbers are in your state.
Please include a link for confirmation if possible.

Many of us believe that poaching is a huge problem here. How 'bout your
state?

Dale

posted to rec.boats,rec.outdoors.fishing,alt.fishing
CoachPotato

Thanks, James. 130+ wardens for Kentucky. 180 for California. I
couldn't find how many sportsmen licenses are issued in Ky but
2,300,000 in California. We have a lot fewer wardens per angler/hunter,
I am certain.

Dale

posted to rec.boats,rec.outdoors.fishing,alt.fishing
James R. Freeman

I could not find the number of sports licenses either but as a ref. point
Kentucky's total population is apx. 4.2 million
Jim

"CoachPotato" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks, James. 130+ wardens for Kentucky. 180 for California. I
couldn't find how many sportsmen licenses are issued in Ky but
2,300,000 in California. We have a lot fewer wardens per angler/hunter,
I am certain.

Dale

thunder

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 06:43:05 +0000, CalifBill wrote:

May be OK to use the bycatch. Here the bottom trawlers (most destructive
fishing methor there is!) leave a trail 5 miles long of bycatch feeding
the seagulls. And the bycatch is some very commercially viable fish, just
not in season.

Shrimping is right up there. Three pounds of by-catch for every pound of
shrimp, has been estimated by the National Marine Fisheries Service.
UglyDan®©™

By-Catch is not some sports guy out schlepping fish to commercial
(boat's) interest's.

By-catch is a term used in the fishing industry for the incidental catch
of a non-targeted specie's.
Let's say I'm out bottom dragging for flounder in the NY Bight, I haul
back my net and empty it, and lo and behold there in my pile of
flounder I wish) is a juicy 2lb lobster, Well thats By-Catch.
BTW, That By-Catch was served with lemon and butter! UD

Wendell Willkie DSK ASA 4 March 11th 06 04:32 AM
Wendell Willkie Bob Crantz ASA 0 March 9th 06 11:07 PM
State of the Onion Address Bob Crantz ASA 48 February 5th 06 11:19 AM