Reggie Smithers

Default Death by Danish...

wrote:
Calif Bill wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Calif Bill wrote:
"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Harry Krause wrote:
Doug Kanter wrote:
"Harry Krause" wrote in message
...is ok, I suppose, if it is a fresh cheese Danish from New York
City,
although I'd prefer a Napoleon or an eclair.
What? You don't like the typical "Danish" made famous by
supermarkets,
highway rest area cafeterias and coffee trucks? Day-glo fillings,
and
hideous white glaze?

Uh, no. There are very few places outside of NYC where you can get
decent danish or, for that matter, decent fresh bread. When I first
moved to Jacksonville and went to the supermarket, I was appalled by
what the stores there were passing off as "bread." It all resembled
Wonder Bread, no matter what its shape or size. Imagine an Italian
sub
roll whose crust and insides were the same mushy consistency, and
tasting like Wonder Bread.

A former neighbor of mine used to get the "real deal" danish and
bread
shipped in from New York. His dad ran a Chinese restaurant adjacent
Grand Central station, and at least once a month, he'd put together a
care package for us.

The situation is a little better in the DC area, although it isn't
easy
to find a good rye or pumpernickel or really authentic bagels. Good
bread is supposed to have real crust.

We do have an Irish inn restaurant not too far from us that bakes its
own bread, and, according to my Irish-American wife and her father,
it
is "authentic." Good stuff. Sadly, we don't have any authentic, New
York-type Jewish delis in this area. Thus, no good deli bread or
pastry.
My wife, being from the S.F. Bay Area, loves sourdough, and not just
any sourdough. She likes the original, which is Boudin. They claim
that
the foggy atmosphere helps in the sourdough process. Whatever, it IS
good.
http://www.boudinbakery.com/

I have to agree that some of the breads, including sourdough, that I've
had in SF have been very good. I like crusty sourdough dinner rolls.

Panera Bread, a bakery-restaurant chain, make decent breads and rolls.
We actually have lots of good breads in California. a bunch of specialty
bakeries supplying the stores. As to Danish, head to Solvang, Calif, A
town of danes decended from immigrants. The town survives on mostly the
tourist trade and the bakeries are very good.
My wife also has a "need" for a Casper's hotdog fix once inwhile.

But Kasper's is gone. Only Casper's is left and they are not as good.
Still good, but not as much as the Original. Kasper's was the Original and
Casper's was started by a relative. I was friends with Harry the Son-in-law
who took over Kasper's when the FIL retired. Unfortunately Harry has now
passed also. But Harry would be about a 95 now if he was still steaming
dogs.

Look, the orginal Kasper's IS still going, since 1929::
http://www.originalkaspers.com/home.html

They are "temporarily" closed for renovations.

--
Reggie
That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Calif Bill wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Calif Bill wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Harry Krause wrote:
Doug Kanter wrote:
[...]

If you notice the page was last edited on 2004. The building, and small
triangular store has been shuttered the last few times I went by. My mom
lives in the area and I still go down the street. What high school did wife
attend? I grew up in El Cerrito.

Interesting. I thought that I had heard somewhere, sometime, perhaps
when I was in CA, that Kasper's had been out of business for years.

Wife's family left Richmond and moved to Pleasant Hill just prior to
high school. She went to College Park High in Pleasant Hill. When I was
there we lived in Martinez. I didn't have a boat, so I did a lot of
fishing off of the pier there. I've seen people catch sturgeon right
there, but I never had the pleasure.

Calif Bill

wrote in message
oups.com...

Interesting. I thought that I had heard somewhere, sometime, perhaps
when I was in CA, that Kasper's had been out of business for years.

Wife's family left Richmond and moved to Pleasant Hill just prior to
high school. She went to College Park High in Pleasant Hill. When I was
there we lived in Martinez. I didn't have a boat, so I did a lot of
fishing off of the pier there. I've seen people catch sturgeon right
there, but I never had the pleasure.

I used to fish the pier also. Was easy to go over for a couple of hours
when I lived in the Pleasant Hill area. Was on jury duty one time, county
court house is just up the street. We walked over to the pier during lunch.
No body catching anything. Little old lady, maybe 75 years old shows up and
tosses out a baited hook. 3 minutes at most, and she reels in a nice starry
flounder. Maybe 3#. Baits up again and tosses out the line. 1 minute
later, she has on a legal striped bass. Lands it. Nobody else on the pier
has had a bite. She packs up and leaves with the 2 fish. Maybe 10 minutes
total fishing time.

Support the Danish! Dan J.S. General 86 February 13th 06 02:46 PM
Death by Danish... Dan J.S. General 14 February 10th 06 12:03 PM
Death by Danish... Don White General 0 February 8th 06 02:54 PM
Death by Danish... [email protected] General 0 February 8th 06 01:10 PM
Death by Eskimo Roll? Andy Baxter General 69 January 23rd 06 01:59 PM