markvictor

Default Auto Pilot for trolling

One thing to keep in mind...
the installation and more importantly the proper set up and calibration
is the key to success with any autopilot....get someone who thoroughly
knows not only how to install it but also how to use it...it can make
all the difference...
regards,
markvictor

http://groups.google.com/group/badboatbiz

-rick-

"Art Yokell" wrote ...

We have a 30' grady which we use mostly for fishing. We had installed a C
series Raymarine GPS, Fish Finder and a 4' open array radar. I had hoped to
install a decent auto pilot this winter. I am getting a bunch of jazz from Ray
and a reccomendation for a $4,000 system plus the cost of install. I find out
that this system is not reccomended for slow speeds nd doesn't have any
predetermined trolling patterns as part of the system. I wonder if anyone here
might have an alternate suggestion that will work and not be so outrageously
expensive. Thanks for any ideas.

I use a Nautamatic TR-1 gold on the kicker and it works pretty well. It runs
about $2300 if I recall correctly. It has a zig-zag pattern but I've never tried
it.

http://www.nautamatic.com/

-rick-

Capt John

Art,

Slow speed trolling with an autopilot on a small boat like yours can be
a problem on days where you have a bit of a sea, and wind, to contend
with. Now when you talk about slow speed I assume your talking about 2
to 4 knots. As the speed increases, and the boat gets bigger, it's less
of a problem. Your best bet is to ask people that have the same boat as
yours if they have had problems, what system they have and how fast
they troll.

Don't feel too bad, I've run some larger boats that have a problem with
this as well, they just don't run slow enough on two engines, you have
to troll on one engine. All it takes is one wave at the right time and
your back to manual fighting the boat. I've even seen them change props
late in the season (smaller wheel or less pitch) so they can slow troll
with both engines in gear. So if a system works OK most of the time,
your probably doing better than most.

markvictor

Also,springing for the rate-sensor instead of the standard heading
sensor will help with low speed stability...You guessed it...more
money...
regards,
markvictor