Art Yokell

Default Auto Pilot for trolling

We have a 30' grady which we use mostly for fishing. We had installed a C
series Raymarine GPS, Fish Finder and a 4' open array radar. I had hoped to
install a decent auto pilot this winter. I am getting a bunch of jazz from
Ray and a reccomendation for a $4,000 system plus the cost of install. I
find out that this system is not reccomended for slow speeds nd doesn't have
any predetermined trolling patterns as part of the system. I wonder if
anyone here might have an alternate suggestion that will work and not be so
outrageously expensive. Thanks for any ideas.

Art Yokell
Riverview FL
Gray-White Marlin

Wayne.B

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 17:51:16 GMT, "Art Yokell"
wrote:

I wonder if
anyone here might have an alternate suggestion that will work and not be so
outrageously expensive. Thanks for any ideas.

======================================

Take a look at Simrad. They have several models designed for smaller
boats that might be less expensive but I doubt that you'll find
anything less than $3K. None of this stuff is mass produced and there
isn't a lot of competition.

K. Smith

Art Yokell wrote:
We have a 30' grady which we use mostly for fishing. We had installed a C
series Raymarine GPS, Fish Finder and a 4' open array radar. I had hoped to
install a decent auto pilot this winter. I am getting a bunch of jazz from
Ray and a reccomendation for a $4,000 system plus the cost of install. I
find out that this system is not reccomended for slow speeds nd doesn't have
any predetermined trolling patterns as part of the system. I wonder if
anyone here might have an alternate suggestion that will work and not be so
outrageously expensive. Thanks for any ideas.

Art Yokell
Riverview FL
Gray-White Marlin

Along the same lines as Wayne's repl, but add Navman to you list of
stuff to check.

Here downunder it's really doing well, their Autopilot is in the price
range of the simrad as you'll see in the Whitworth's link in A$ (Take A$
X 0.74 to get US$) the dearest hydraulic unit is about $US2737
& those prices include our 10% goods & services tax, which you
shouldn't be paying. Low speed setup shouldn't be an issue because being
NZ it's all with yachts in mind. Navman is in use by smaller commercial
users here.

http://www.navman.com/marine/product...ots/index.html

http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_home.asp

(just put autopilot into their search thingo)

Skipper

"K. Smith" wrote:

Add Navman to you list of stuff to check.

Downunder it's really doing well, their Autopilot is in the price
range of the simrad...Navman is in use by smaller commercial
users here.

http://www.navman.com/marine/product...ots/index.html

What a fantastic looking A/P. Do you know if it's another great
Brunswick product? I know the Navman mapper I got for the truck is a
super product...and under $300!!! Unbelievable how it knows about
*every* road and offramp shape...and very clear voice directions.

--
Skipper
K. Smith

Skipper wrote:
"K. Smith" wrote:

Add Navman to you list of stuff to check.

Downunder it's really doing well, their Autopilot is in the price
range of the simrad...Navman is in use by smaller commercial
users here.

http://www.navman.com/marine/product...ots/index.html

What a fantastic looking A/P. Do you know if it's another great
Brunswick product? I know the Navman mapper I got for the truck is a
super product...and under $300!!! Unbelievable how it knows about
*every* road and offramp shape...and very clear voice directions.

--
Skipper

Well it's not that pretty but I think I was bordering on spam there for
a minute so apologies in advance if others think I crossed over.

Skipper

"K. Smith" wrote:

http://www.navman.com/marine/product...ots/index.html

What a fantastic looking A/P. Do you know if it's another great
Brunswick product? I know the Navman mapper I got for the truck is a
super product...and under $300!!! Unbelievable how it knows about
*every* road and offramp shape...and very clear voice directions.

Well it's not that pretty but I think I was bordering on spam there for
a minute so apologies in advance if others think I crossed over.

I don't see how discussing another great new Brunswick product can be
seen as bordering on spam.

--
Skipper
Wayne.B

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 19:09:10 -0600, Skipper wrote:

I don't see how discussing another great new Brunswick product can be
seen as bordering on spam.

Let's just hope that Brunswick does not turn Hatteras into mediocrity.

Wayne.B

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 11:58:40 +1100, "K. Smith" wrote:

Well it's not that pretty but I think I was bordering on spam there for
a minute so apologies in advance if others think I crossed over.

There is no issue with recommending products that you are not selling.

K. Smith

Wayne.B wrote:
On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 11:58:40 +1100, "K. Smith" wrote:

Well it's not that pretty but I think I was bordering on spam there for
a minute so apologies in advance if others think I crossed over.

There is no issue with recommending products that you are not selling.

Thanks Wayne certainly no connections with either & no benefit can flow
to me in any manner.

Skip keeps saying Navman is Brunswick so I assume he means they've
bought the NZ Co out?? or they're the US distributors???

markvictor

One thing to keep in mind...
the installation and more importantly the proper set up and calibration
is the key to success with any autopilot....get someone who thoroughly
knows not only how to install it but also how to use it...it can make
all the difference...
regards,
markvictor

http://groups.google.com/group/badboatbiz