Tamaroak

Default OT--Harry was right. Bush is drinking again.

I fish a little, but don't harrass them by trying to catch them. (Some
say I am just incompetant in that regard, but I figure it's one step
more progressive than catch and release!) I'm in Minnesota and boat
primarily on Lake Superior, where I charter out two boats, but not for
fishing, only cruising.

I'll be doing the Great Loop in 2006-07.

Capt. jeff

JohnH wrote:
On 22 Dec 2005 09:04:04 -0800, wrote:

JohnH wrote:
On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 10:11:49 -0800, Tamaroak wrote:

snipped

Hey Jeff, whereabouts are you located? Do you do any fishing? For what?
--
John H

**** May your Christmas be Spectacular!****
*****...and your New Year even Better!*****

Why do you ask Jeff that question, in that manner to NOYB? He's the one
that started the off topic, political natured thread.

Because I was interested. NOYB was already queried and responded to a question about
his fishing.

Are you going to anchor in the lake when you go striper fishing? What kind of bottom
rig do you use? I use mostly a 'fishfinder rig' similar to:

http://fishnj.theshoppe.com/striped_...inder_rig.html, although homemade.

Do you use circle hooks?
--
John H

Downlining works best in these deep reservoirs. Simply an egg sinker,
then a swivel, then a couple of feet of leader and sharp hook. I don't
usually use circle hooks, but when downlining I do opt for the more
expensive very sharp Gamatsu hooks. It's hard setting the hook in a
striper if you have a decent size egg sinker, in rough water 50 feet
deep or so. When you down line you don't anchor usually, because of the
weight of the sinker, the bait can only swim *locally*! So I use the
trolling motor, trying to stay over top of the school. I just release
enough line to get down to where my fishfinder says they are. If they
are at 30 feet, I hand strip off around thirty feet of line.

Doug Kanter

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 19:55:04 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

wrote in message
groups.com...

wrote:

[...]

Oh, and here's a good article on catching stripper in our type of
waters:
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...objectID=29083

What's this got to do with boats?

Boats have stripes.

OK. I forgot about that.

JohnH

On 22 Dec 2005 11:48:36 -0800, wrote:

JohnH wrote:
On 22 Dec 2005 09:04:04 -0800,
wrote:

JohnH wrote:
[...]

This past year I learned how to successfully use circle hooks. Patience is the key.
And, you *can't* jerk the line to set the hook. It'll pull right out of it's mouth.
It was nice being able to throw back the small ones knowing they had about a 95%
survival rate, rather than a 5% rate when gut hooked.
--
John H

**** May your Christmas be Spectacular!****
*****...and your New Year even Better!*****
JohnH

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 19:59:07 GMT, "Doug Kanter" wrote:

.. .
On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 19:55:04 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

wrote in message
egroups.com...

wrote:

[...]

Yeah!
--
John H

**** May your Christmas be Spectacular!****
*****...and your New Year even Better!*****
JohnH

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 22:46:28 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing
wrote:

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 15:28:29 -0500, JohnH wrote:

On 22 Dec 2005 11:49:45 -0800, wrote:

JohnH wrote:
On 22 Dec 2005 09:04:04 -0800,
wrote:

JohnH wrote:
[...]

Nice article. Thanks!

When my youngest received his post academy assignment area, it's right
next to Lake Marion in SC.

WHOO HOO!! Striper city!!

They don't taste near as good as smoked swan!
--
John H

**** May your Christmas be Spectacular!****
*****...and your New Year even Better!*****
Bill McKee

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 19:55:04 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

wrote in message
egroups.com...

wrote:

[...]

He meant Striper, not Stripper. Need "boat buck" for stripper.

OT Republicans Distancing Themselves From Bush [email protected] General 3 December 19th 05 04:53 PM
Bush to swim in Lava? Bob Crantz ASA 0 November 30th 05 02:56 AM
A beer with Bush *JimH* General 8 November 17th 05 09:36 PM
Bush slips to all-time low in CNN poll Don Dando General 3 November 15th 05 02:55 PM