JimH

Default Christmas / Chanukah

"Eisboch" wrote in message

" JimH" wrote in message

I am also taking the sunpad and 2 cushions to an upholstery shop to be
recovered.

If you are planning on taking them to a shop that specializes in "marine"
upholstery, you better get the pad and cushions down there now if you want
any chance of getting them back by spring. Experience talking here.

Eisboch

I agree. A friend of mine hooked up with an Amish guy (Jonah) who does
great work at low prices. The problem is Jonah does not have a phone and my
friend does not know his address....just directions on how to get there. He
has promised for weeks to take me down to him............if not done by next
week I have a couple of local shops I can hook up with that have good
references but higher prices.

I will be making my move either way by next week.

Wayne.B

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 01:23:35 GMT, Gene Kearns
wrote:

Ok, for a suitably equipped stationary stations, one can broadcast
useful information such as location and weather.... see
http://www.aprs.net/ and, in particular, personal weather stations.
For mobile applications, real time tracking via lat and lon and any
other useful information! Short messages are allowable!

Boats, so equipped, can be tracked inland and offshore!

===========================

I'm doing that now on SSB. Any equipment recommendations for VHF?

JimH

"Smithers one of 1000's" Smithers of a 1000 names wrote in message
JimH,
When is it boating season in your neck of the woods?. We normally have
the boat recommissioned the first weekend after April 15th. By May, the
weather is perfect for quiet days on the lake. It isn't till Memorial Day
that the lake becomes busy.

" JimH" wrote in message

"Smithers" Yes, Smithers is not my real name. wrote in message
news
Does anyone have a favorite boating toy they are hoping will be under
the Christmas Tree or Menorah?

Since I don't trust anyone to buy what I want, I normally have a box
with assorted hot sauces and a sweater under the tree. I then go
shopping after Christmas at deep discounts.

I plan on updating my stereo system on the boat, so I can play my IPOD
through the system, and have some nice speakers in the cabin.

Everything I plan to get will be after Christmas and closer to Spring.

This includes:

1. New bolster type helm seat and adjustable pedestal
2. New carpeting
3. Bimini (high enough to stand up under while driving)
4. Portable rechargeable battery charger/jumper
5. AM/FM/CD player (replacing the cassette player currently in the
boat).

I am also taking the sunpad and 2 cushions to an upholstery shop to be
recovered.

This has been my plan since buying the boat last summer, with these
projects planned in Spring. The helm seat and sink/ice box was already
torn out before I put the boat to bed for the winter.

Believe it or not...........it is still technically fall even though the
ground is covered with snow and temperatures have been in the single
digits......

This is going to be a long winter. :-(

All marinas on Lake Erie typically have boats hauled out by November 1st.
There remains, however, the trailer boater and some die hard blow boaters on
the water in November.

Come December everything on the water shuts down on Lake Erie, although I do
not know the shut down date for commercial large ship traffic.

Come mid to late March, despite the ice and temperatures, some die hard
boaters (on trailers) are back on the water.

Marina's typically open their season on April 1st, with fishermen the first
ones to splash, followed by those living on boating condos with heat.

The Lake Erie water temperature is around 40 degrees on April 1st
Temperatures do not rise into the 50's until May and finally reach
comfortable levels (for swimming and in water activities) from late June
through early September. Temperatures then begin to plunge into the 50's in
October till they reach 34-33F throughout the winter.

Although the Lake is shallow (35 feet is an average depth on the Western
Basin) it does not always freeze over. Most years it does and folks living
on the western islands are capable of driving their modified cars across the
ice to the mainland.

So.........to answer your question............as we now have a small 20 foot
runabout, we do not plan to be out on the Lake until mid May next year, and
then only for some cruising or fishing. When we had larger boats with full
cabins we would start spending weekends on the boat at the marina by mid
May.

P. Fritz

" JimH" wrote in message

[...]

My boat insurance does not cover being in the water from Nov.1 to Apr 1.
I think that is a pretty common policy.

Come December everything on the water shuts down on Lake Erie, although

I do
not know the shut down date for commercial large ship traffic.

The Coast Guard keeps the shipping lanes open all year, according to a
friend of mine that is an officer for one of the freighter lines, but I
think the lock up at the Soo shut down for a short time.

Come mid to late March, despite the ice and temperatures, some die hard
boaters (on trailers) are back on the water.

Marina's typically open their season on April 1st, with fishermen the

first
ones to splash, followed by those living on boating condos with heat.

The crazy ones are the live aboards. I have a friend living on a 27 Four
Winns, it is bubbled and under a shed roof.....personally, I think he is
nuts........

The Lake Erie water temperature is around 40 degrees on April 1st
Temperatures do not rise into the 50's until May and finally reach
comfortable levels (for swimming and in water activities) from late June
through early September. Temperatures then begin to plunge into the

50's in
October till they reach 34-33F throughout the winter.

It is amazing how quickly the water gets cold, isn't it?

Although the Lake is shallow (35 feet is an average depth on the Western
Basin) it does not always freeze over. Most years it does and folks

living
on the western islands are capable of driving their modified cars across

the
ice to the mainland.

It has to be pretty lonely out on South Bass during the winter. I hear
the keep one bar open year round for the locals......any truth to that
rumor?

So.........to answer your question............as we now have a small 20

foot
runabout, we do not plan to be out on the Lake until mid May next year,

and
then only for some cruising or fishing. When we had larger boats with

full
cabins we would start spending weekends on the boat at the marina by mid
May.

Lake St. Clair, since it is shallower, warms up quicker, so lots of
people will spend the weekend by late April. This year, with the fall
being so nice, we were still out in shirt sleeves working on the boats in
mid Nov.

Dan Krueger

Don White wrote:

Smithers wrote:

JOhnH,
that is SOS not SUS.

Don't feel bad John. I like suspenders for 'working pants'...where you
want the waist relaxed for bending etc. I can't convince the wife to
sew all those little buttons on a couple pair so I use the type with the
metal teeth.

Priceless....

JimH

" JimH" wrote in message

[...]

The port of Cleveland (and I am sure Sandusky and Toledo) has a winter shut
down and re-open date, although I do not know what those dates are.

Come mid to late March, despite the ice and temperatures, some die hard
boaters (on trailers) are back on the water.

Marina's typically open their season on April 1st, with fishermen the

first
ones to splash, followed by those living on boating condos with heat.

The crazy ones are the live aboards. I have a friend living on a 27
Four Winns, it is bubbled and under a shed roof.....personally, I think he
is nuts........

Yep. I would guess things eventually get tight even on a 75 footer.

The Lake Erie water temperature is around 40 degrees on April 1st
Temperatures do not rise into the 50's until May and finally reach
comfortable levels (for swimming and in water activities) from late

June
through early September. Temperatures then begin to plunge into the

50's in
October till they reach 34-33F throughout the winter.

It is amazing how quickly the water gets cold, isn't it?

It stayed pretty warm this year, even into September. But you are correct,
it gets cold very fast.

Although the Lake is shallow (35 feet is an average depth on the

Western
Basin) it does not always freeze over. Most years it does and folks

living
on the western islands are capable of driving their modified cars

across the
ice to the mainland.

It has to be pretty lonely out on South Bass during the winter. I hear
the keep one bar open year round for the locals......any truth to that
rumor?

We have always wanted to fly into Kelleys Island during the winter to drop
into "The Village Pump". We may do it this winter and will let you know,
although I am sure we will not be able to find any golf carts to rent
though. ;-)

BTW: We are renting a 3 bedroom cottage at Saunders on PIB this summer,
with our friends renting the unit next door. We will trailer over (on the
ferry) our 20 footer and keep it on the hook at the public mooring area near
the Crews Nest but in the bay, accessing it by water taxi when we need it.
We will have a variety of guests staying with us, most especially our son
w/friends and daughter w/friends. Having a boat handy for skiing, tubing or
cruising to swimming spots or other islands will be a plus for all.

My son and daughter are taking the USCG PS classes over the summer. They
have both been taught on the proper operation of a boat, boat safety rules
and regulations and docking/maneuvring techniques, most especially on our
larger boats. They have boated with us since they were each 1 years old.

With their USCG PS certification over the winter, combined with their past
training and experience on our boats they will be able to take this 20
footer (actually a 21 footer if you look at the specs but size does not
matter to me) out on their own with friends this summer and during this
vacaction to PIB. How cool is that if you are an 18-21 year old?
:-)

JohnH

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 22:54:34 GMT, Don White wrote:

JohnH wrote:
On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 02:28:21 GMT, Don White wrote:

Smithers wrote:

JOhnH,
that is SOS not SUS.

Don't feel bad John. I like suspenders for 'working pants'...where you
want the waist relaxed for bending etc. I can't convince the wife to
sew all those little buttons on a couple pair so I use the type with the
metal teeth.

I'm gonna buy my own. Hell with 'em.
--
John H

**** May your Christmas be Spectacular!****
*****...and your New Year even Better!*****

I found they come in different lengths, so try 'em out before you leave
the store...

Thanks for the tip. I wonder if Old Navy sells 'em.

(Does that count as 'boating related'?)

" JimH" wrote in message

" JimH" wrote in message

[...]

I will not take my soon to be 16 y.o. daughter to P.I.B. LOL

I will hopefully be down there for the long fourth of July weekend, as
well as another one or two if gas isn't too expensive.

JimH

"P. Fritz" wrote in message

" JimH" wrote in message

" JimH" wrote in message

[...]

The weekends are pretty wild there...the weekdays are tame.

P Fritz

" JimH" wrote in message
. ..

"P. Fritz" wrote in message

" JimH" wrote in message

" JimH" wrote in message

[...]

They are tamer LOL, I've gotten down there on a Wednesday night and it is
still more than a 16 y.o. girl need to see ;-)

Last year when I was down there, I overheard a conversation on an adjacent
boat. It was Sat. morning, and this girl (about age 25) was telling
someone how she had arrived there Thursday evening with no money and no
place to stay....and how she had already slept with 5 different
guys...........................

There was also about 30 NYFD guys with their wive / girlfriends.....they
were having an weeklong bachelor party.....they were pretty funny (okay
wild) at Frosty's in the middle of the afternoon. Apparently somebody did
something, because the police showed up at the hotel at 3 a.m. woke
everyone up (I guess they reviewed the registery) and forced them all to
leave.....made them sit down by the jet express dock until the first boat
left.

Corrupt liberal media fails to cover the news [email protected] General 54 December 12th 05 08:24 PM
not boating at Christmas? Jim Carter General 1 December 10th 05 01:07 AM
Christmas Cheer! Bob Crantz ASA 0 December 3rd 05 09:20 PM
OT The Truth About Anti-Christmas [email protected] General 3 December 2nd 05 07:24 PM