Junior Member

Location: Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
Default Seahawk 500 Inflatable

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum and to boating altogether. I have a Seahawk 500 Inflatable (I know it's not the best inflatable out there) and I have a Minn Kota Endura Trolling Motor to put on it (46 lbs of thrust).

The limit for this boat is 3.5 hp and I do not think there is a way to convert pounds of thrust to horsepower. Just for a general idea, would 46 lbs of thrust be exceeding the limit for this boat? And is this a good motor for this boat? Should I go more powerful, less powerful?

Thanks,

Chris
Bill S

It's difficult to compare thrust to horsepower. However, if
your electric trolling motor were producing 3.5 hp, it would
need over 200 amps of current at 12 volts. At that rate a
12 volt battery would be discharged in a few minutes. So
it's safe to assume that the trolling motor produces much
less than 3.5 hp.

As far as this being a "good" choice, it's a matter of
taste. The trolling motor will be slower than a 3.5 hp
outboard (but cheaper and quieter).