Bill S

Default Seahawk 500 Inflatable

It's difficult to compare thrust to horsepower. However, if
your electric trolling motor were producing 3.5 hp, it would
need over 200 amps of current at 12 volts. At that rate a
12 volt battery would be discharged in a few minutes. So
it's safe to assume that the trolling motor produces much
less than 3.5 hp.

As far as this being a "good" choice, it's a matter of
taste. The trolling motor will be slower than a 3.5 hp
outboard (but cheaper and quieter).

chrisp2965 wrote:
Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum and to boating altogether. I have a Seahawk 500
Inflatable (I know it's not the best inflatable out there) and I have a
Minn Kota Endura Trolling Motor to put on it (46 lbs of thrust).

The limit for this boat is 3.5 hp and I do not think there is a way to
convert pounds of thrust to horsepower. Just for a general idea, would
46 lbs of thrust be exceeding the limit for this boat? And is this a
good motor for this boat? Should I go more powerful, less powerful?

Thanks,

Chris