noah

Default Mercruiser 120 engine problems

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 20:57:48 -0400, "Patrick McDougal"
wrote:

I recently "inherited" a 1982 Stingray with a Mercruiser 120 and am having
some problems with the engine. When I start the motor, it runs smoothly at
idle and smoothly with an increased throttle for 10s or so and then begins
to falter. If I do not reduce the throttle, it dies. I have checked the
points, condenser, plugs, and timing... all of which seem to be fine. I am
considering that it might be the fuel pump... Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Patrick

I agree with RK- fuel problem.
Carb is gummed, ...are you running old fuel, water in the fuel. ...?
How long did the boat "sit"?

I would get the carb cleaned.
noah

Courtesy of Lee Yeaton,
See the boats of rec.boats
www.TheBayGuide.com/rec.boats
CaptMP

If it's been stored for a while, I'd check the fuel tank vent-spiders like to
get up under the "clam shell" I don't know why and the web can really block the
vent. Could be corrosion in the screen at the same vent as well.
Have a nice summer!
Mike

Usage of motoroil Steven Shelikoff General 153 September 17th 03 12:55 PM
Replace alternator in 5.7 Mercruiser? Calif Bill General 1 August 12th 03 03:37 AM
ENGINE OVERHEAT Coff General 2 August 4th 03 11:39 PM
Help, Evinrude Fleetwin engine problems Guy Noir - private eye General 0 July 20th 03 04:40 AM
Help diagnosing engine problem. DrinkJack General 1 July 11th 03 04:06 AM