noah

Default Mercruiser 120 engine problems

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 20:57:48 -0400, "Patrick McDougal"
wrote:

I recently "inherited" a 1982 Stingray with a Mercruiser 120 and am having
some problems with the engine. When I start the motor, it runs smoothly at
idle and smoothly with an increased throttle for 10s or so and then begins
to falter. If I do not reduce the throttle, it dies. I have checked the
points, condenser, plugs, and timing... all of which seem to be fine. I am
considering that it might be the fuel pump... Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Patrick

I agree with RK- fuel problem.
Carb is gummed, ...are you running old fuel, water in the fuel. ...?
How long did the boat "sit"?

I would get the carb cleaned.
noah

Courtesy of Lee Yeaton,